Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recommendation for a gaming console

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Poll: Gaming Console (30 member(s) have cast votes)

What Gaming Console Do You Use?

1. Wii (7 votes [12.96%])

Percentage of vote: 12.96%

2. PS2 (8 votes [14.81%])

Percentage of vote: 14.81%

3. PS3 (15 votes [27.78%])

Percentage of vote: 27.78%

4. Gamecube (5 votes [9.26%])

Percentage of vote: 9.26%

5. Xbox (5 votes [9.26%])

Percentage of vote: 9.26%

6. Xbox 360 (14 votes [25.93%])

Percentage of vote: 25.93%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 josh_the_techie

josh_the_techie

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:43 PM

Hello all! This is my first forum question, so please bear with me as I'm learning how to use this site.
I'm looking for a gaming console. I already have a Wii, but I like other platforms as well. I've played PS2 in the past, and I'm thinking about buying a PS2 console as a secondary gaming platform. I've heard that a PS3 is a better deal, but I'm not that concerned as far as graphics goes, and there are plenty of games for the PS2. I'm not a hard-core gamer, but I do like playing video games when I have the time.

What would you recommend as far as a gaming console?

Thanks!
Josh_the_Techie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 23 February 2011 - 05:31 PM

im not much of a console gamer, but I do have both an xbox and a 360 and am happy with them. I would say if your gonna get a console dont waste money on a ps2 or a xbox, get the ps3 you can play most ps2 games on it, and a ps2 wont play ps3 games so if you want to play a ps3 game and you buy a ps2 it turns into a waste of money. On top of that you cant buy ps2s or regular xboxes new anymore only used, which means no warranty.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:47 PM

I'm in the PS3 camp, you get more for your money. The older models could play PS2 games, but Sony removed that functionality to lower the price, that's why I jumped on the old 60GB models before they left the market. With the PS3, you get one of the best Blu-Ray players on the market which also upscales DVD's, it's a DLNA-compliant device so you can play media over your home network, it will play PSOne games (Both downloaded from the PSN and disc), you also get free access to the PlayStation Network which will allow for downloadable games (Both full PS3 games, small-scale PS3 games, PSOne classics, and PSP games.) and movies and TV shows, Netflix, Vudu (My personal favorite), and an upgradable hard drive using off-the-shelf non-proprietary drives. It should also come down to the games you play, both the 360 and the PS3 will run most non-exclusive games on the market, but if you are looking at titles from Japan, the PS3 gets those more. I'm a huge RPG fan, so the PS3's JRPG line-up is better, also, I was thrilled that I could get Final Fantasy VII, VIII, and IX off the PSN, along with Suikoden and Grandia.

3939.png

#4 alexsm

alexsm

• Banned Spammer
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:33 AM

For hardcore games xbox 360, but as an overall all-in-one gaming device PS3 rules!!..

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 09:17 PM

For hardcore games xbox 360, but as an overall all-in-one gaming device PS3 rules!!..

What qualifies as a hardcore game is subjective and depends on taste. You could always go for the PC route and get something that blows away both consoles in performance. You wouldn't get console-only releases though.

3939.png

#6 kingrob92

kingrob92

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2011 - 04:06 PM

what type of question is that the xbox 360 is by far the gaming console you want

#7 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2011 - 07:08 PM

The Newest Xbox360 with kinect is one of the better deals for casual gaming right now. The PS3 has the better hardware of the current gen consoles but price point and those glowing balls on the new motion controllers have put me off buying one currently. Older systems are usually much cheaper since people are selling them used. I wouldnt buy a used 1st gen PS2 rather a PS2.2 Slim-line. GameCube, Dreamcast, and the Original Xbox can be had for $50 or less (DC goes for about $25). Not too bad for the money

Posted Image

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:54 PM

@Kingrob 92: That's based on what exactly?

Then again, Kinect and Wii have both proven that most people don't want to use motion gaming for certain games, many of them are games outside the casual sphere. Most people I know of get a Kinect or Wii, play it constantly for a few days, and then never touch them again. Over at the SonyStyle store, there's a Drake's Fortune bundle for $279 and a Move bundle for $399 (Includes game and Move device). The Kinect bundle is cheaper than the PS3 Move bundle, but the standard systems are the same. Right now, for casual gaming, the 360 is probably your better bet, unless you want Blu-Ray.

3939.png

#9 felmy

felmy

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:30 AM

My sister owns a XBOX360, PS3 and Wii. When I am over at her place I enjoy the Wii the most. It may not be the most technical advanced console but I like the Nintendo franchises especially Zelda. So if I would have to choose a console I would most likely go for the Wii.

#10 josh_the_techie

josh_the_techie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:03 AM

Thanks for all the replies...I didn't get any notifications about this post. I did end up buying a PS2 and I'm very pleased with it. I do want to later buy a PS3 or XBOX 360, but right now, I don't have the money to buy one. Thanks again for all the replies!

#11 Wait_What?

Wait_What?

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 05 April 2011 - 09:24 PM

The PS3 is far the surperior in terms of hardware power and that it includes a Blu-Ray player to boot. As far as gaming, most people swear by the 360s online play as the deciding factor when it comes to which one to choose. For enjoyable family fun the console to choose is the Wii as it mainly caters to a general (family) demographic. You'd be hard pressed to find hard core games in huge numbers on the Wii compared to PS3 and the 360.

They all have their positives and negatives and all have motion controlled game-play at present. You just have to do some research and decide your priorities and what is important for you in a system. Happy hunting!

#12 iainmon

iainmon

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:53 PM

Ive got bot and i used to be all PS3 really. But to be honest these days its hardly on. That will change with uncharted 3 though i think. xbox has won the generation i think simply due to its online

#13 iainmon

iainmon

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:35 AM

i just reading rumors theres a new ps3 jailbreak out there so i bet there will be a few extra ps3's sold this christmas period

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users