Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hosting website from home

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 mattbirk

mattbirk

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 17 February 2011 - 01:26 PM

I just bought a domain name, and well...I don't know exactly what's next. I've used Dreamweaver before, lightly, and have edited other websites, but they were already started and were hosted.

I have quite a few questions which I have been Googling and searching here, and sorry if you have already answered these.

1. How do I take www.mydomainname.com and have it mapped to my IP address? (My ISP IP address is dynamic, but changes very rarely...also, could I route my domain name to my dydns.com account). I truely don't care at this point about the site being up or down...it is for personal use only...mainly just playing around and trying to learn.

I did already make my desktop static internal address, and port forwarded UDP and TCP to port 80 at my internal static IP address (192.168.1.108).

2. How do I link my files like index.htm to the actual domain page? I have never set up a domain from scratch, and I am going to host it from home. I know it's possible, just needs some configuration.

Do I need IIS? I am using Windows 7 Ultimate as my OS.

I guess for now those are my main questions. How to I route it to get outside the internal network, and match the ISP's IP address? And how do I create a text file, edit it, and make it the home page (index.htm)?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 17 February 2011 - 01:54 PM

1. You use a service like afraid.org to handle it for you. You register your domain with their Domain Name servers, and they take care of the mapping. At the site where you bought the domain, you point the name servers to the ones provided by whatever service you used. So for instance, if you used afraid.org (which is free), and you licensed your name from godaddy, then you would go to your domain admin page and set the name servers to point to afraid.org's name servers.There are also sites that you can pay to handle the domain for you, but it is not htat difficult to do it yourself.

2. If you want to host it off of your computer, then download a package like WAMP or XAMP which have everything you need to host. They are pretty simple to set up. Both have extensive documentation to help you get set up, byut expect a few weeks of frustration as you get everything set up.

You may also want to check with your host and verify that they allow their customers to host sites. Many ISPs block port 80, and some will drop your service if they discover that you are hosting without their consent.

#3 mattbirk

mattbirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2011 - 01:59 PM

Thanks for the quick reply!

So I purchased the domain through GoDaddy, and today went to activate it, and I am required to pick a feature? Like 5 email addresses, 10 email addresses, web hosting packages, and blog/podcast features, but I didn't want any of them...but it says I must pick one?

Is this something I should have read the fine print? I can do the 5 email addresses, its the cheapest at $2.49/month...but not what I was expecting.

Again, thanks!

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:45 PM

You don't need to buy anything else.

I just noticed that you said that you have a dynamic IP. afraid.org has scripts available to handle that for you, so that isn't a problem. Like I said, you need to check with your ISP to see if you can host. They may even have free available web space that you can point your domain to. Then you wouldn't have to worry about hosting it yourself at all.

#5 mattbirk

mattbirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2011 - 06:31 PM

I will look into hosting, I know I have web space from them. Port 80 is blocked, is there a solution to that? I was reading something about no-ip.com?

This seems to be the hard part, setting it up to communicate externally. Like I said, I already poked the hole through my router...I guess for now I can just change the port and add it to the end of the URL...like I said this is personal use only, so that won't bother me too much. Trying to take it one step at a time, thanks

EDIT: So I set it up on afraid.org, added my domain. I don't see where or how it would get around the port 80, but it says it can on the homepage. Also, does it host data there, or no? How do I point the website to where I am hosting the files at? Sorry to be a pest!

Edited by mattbirk, 17 February 2011 - 06:54 PM.

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2011 - 06:52 PM

Then the solution is to add a different port number onto the end of your url; you will just have to configure your web server differently is all.

No-ip is another service like afraid.org (freedns). I'm not sure how it works when you use an alternate port.

#7 mattbirk

mattbirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2011 - 06:55 PM

You posted before my edit, didn't know if you saw:

Afraid.org says it can get around the blocked port 80, but now I am trying to point the domain name to where I host all of the files. Is that done through the GoDaddy dashboard?

Ok, so when I go to 192.168.1.108 on my network it displays the IIS default image...which looks like it's working. Goign to the website www.tumpus.com (don't ask, its a made up word with zero meaning) or even www.tumpus.com:2000 I get nothing. With the first one and no port I am taken to Linksys search engine (assuming this is coming from my router). With the port number added I get "Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to tumpus.com:2000"

I am getting closer...where am I screwing it up? I know I don't have the index.htm page set yet, but I figured since 192.168.1.108 internally shows the IIS picture, then tumpus.com should too...once properly routed.

Posted Image

ehh...you follow that?

Edited by mattbirk, 17 February 2011 - 07:51 PM.

#8 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:33 PM

What model of router are you using ?

#9 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:45 PM

All afraid.org does is resolves your Domain name to an IP address. You point your domain (at godaddy) to afraid.org's name servers. You point your domain to your ip address at afraid.org. That is all you need to do. You don't need to do anything with your router other than open whatever port you are using, and point it to the computer that is hosting your site. I'm pretty tired after and probably won't be able to explain much more thoroughly before this weekend, but it is really simple once you understand what is happening.

If you look on afraid.org, they will have a list of name servers. IIRC, they are NS1.AFRAID.ORG, NS2.AFRAID.ORG, NS3.AFRAID.ORG, and NS4.AFRAID.ORG. So you go to godaddy, under your domain management panel, there will be a place to set your name servers. Those addresses that I listed in caps are what you will use. That is all you need to do. If you have created an A record on afraid.org, you will have pointed it to your external IP address. From there, your router points it to your internal IP address.

#10 mattbirk

mattbirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:31 PM

Router is WRT110.

So I have (with the help of a friend) got it public, but it bounces through a no-ip address, then displays my IP adress, since No-IP costs $25.00/year for their nameservers. Do I have any other options to make it show the domain, and not the IP address? Otherwise, it works. Its just forwarded to my no-ip address.

thanks for the help!

#11 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2011 - 05:29 AM

Dude, groovicus has already explained how you can do that using afraid.org :)

You do not need no-ip.com.

Visit this : http://freedns.afraid.org/ and create an account. Then setup your domain, dynamic dns etc. Then go over to Godaddy and do what groovicus said.

If you have dynamic IP (your IP changes every time you connect), then you will have to install a software ( http://freedns.afraid.org/scripts/freedns.clients.php )

#12 mattbirk

mattbirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2011 - 02:57 PM

I'm trying...I looked and registered on afraid.org, just had trouble figuring anything out.

So, I will set the the GoDaddy site to afraid.orgs name servers.

Then, download one of the scripts like: http://www.techknowpro.com/freedns/index.php
I am running this off of Windows 7, any particular one you would recommend?

I will get rid of the no-ip setup, and see if I can get this going.

thanks for being patient!

#13 mattbirk

mattbirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2011 - 06:08 PM

EDIT: Got it so far to tumpus.com:1337

I am looking at afraid.org's script to figure out how to lose the port number and should be good.

thanks for the help, was a little more intense than I thought.

Edited by mattbirk, 23 February 2011 - 07:26 PM.

#14 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2011 - 09:49 PM

I told you it was a bit frustrating until you got over the hump. After that it is easy-peasy.

#15 mattbirk

mattbirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2011 - 04:45 PM

Sorry, didn't want to start a new thread since it relates to one of my old ones... (sorry...it's me again!)

Quick question:

I am in the process of setting up Gmail Apps to use my domain for Gmail accounts...
Can I use two of the Afraid name servers and two name servers from GoDaddy? Will this still work properly?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users