Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP System Information Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ociardha

Ociardha

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 17 February 2011 - 01:01 PM

For the last few days when I go to System Information/Software Enviroment and click on any of the choices, then click on View and check System History, my computer freezes. In Task Manager, helpsvc.exe starts amassing large amounts of Page Faults(21,000,000+) while this is happening. I'm running Windows XP with 2GB of RAM with 1,470,000kb available. I'm not getting any error messages. Last week it was working fine.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2011 - 01:30 PM

I would always try running the chkdsk /r command first...then possibly defragging the system partition...when such happen on my systems.

Louis

#3 Ociardha

Ociardha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 02:14 PM

Louis,

I ran a defrag analysis and it said the volumn was ok and didn't need defragging. Please excuse my lack of computer saavy, but what will running that command tell me?

Thanks
Mike

#4 josh_the_techie

josh_the_techie

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 18 February 2011 - 03:07 PM

I would always try running the chkdsk /r command first...then possibly defragging the system partition...when such happen on my systems.

Louis

Louis,

I ran a defrag analysis and it said the volumn was ok and didn't need defragging. Please excuse my lack of computer saavy, but what will running that command tell me?

Thanks
Mike

Running chkdsk /r in a command prompt will check the hard disk for errors. The r/ parameter will force the program to fix the errors it finds. You can also do the same thing by going to My Computer, right-click your hard disk, Properties, Tools, click Check Now under Error Checking. Select Automatically fix file system errors. Click Start. You may have to reboot the computer for the error check to run.

Hope this helps! :)
Josh_the_Techie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users