Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registration Code Recovery

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 SSFreelantzz

SSFreelantzz

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 17 February 2011 - 12:40 PM

I am a complete noob here, so I hope I don't make any terrible mistakes.

I am almost positive no one else has asked this question, but I apologize if they have. I did not see a related answer anywhere.

I will try to be very specific, as this is that type of problem.

I play the Sims games, and have recently had to purchase 2 new hard drives for my computer and reinstall Windows.
After reinstalling Windows 7 Pro (we previously had Vista Home Premium), we realized we were missing one of the manuals for a Sims 2 expansion. Unfortunately, we of course never registered the game online. You can find the registration key in your windows registry, but we have installed new drives, and a new OS, so that is not possible. We have the 2 old hard drives which were still functional, but having problems. The 2 drives were in a RAID 0 array (data striping), and we did back them up before switching out the drives. I'm also not sure if the backup is usable by our current machine since it is Windows 7, not Vista. We have a Seagate drive which we used with the included software to back up the PC, and we also attempted to AutoFab the drive, but kept receiving an error and so ended up copying each user profile and also the drivers and program files.

So my question is this: Is there anyway to find information on the old hard drives or the backup drive from the previous windows registry, including my missing registration code, or is it lost forever?

Thanks for any information you can give me, good or bad.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users