Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing System Tool

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 draven

draven

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:57 AM

Hello,

Need some help please. I'm using the guide - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-system-tool

Do i need to run RKill and MBAM in Safe Mode?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:20 AM

Follow the guide, exactly as stated :).

In the event that you still have problems...follow the guidance in the guide for posting in the Virus, Trojan, Malware Removal Logs forum.

Louis

#3 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:27 AM

I think I see the source of your confusion.

In the instructions, #3 says:

Reboot your computer into Safe Mode with Networking using the instructions for your version of Windows found in the following tutorial:

How to start Windows in Safe Mode

When following the steps in the above tutorial, select Safe Mode with Networking rather than just Safe Mode. When the computer reboots into Safe Mode with Networking make sure you login with the username you normally use. When you are at your Windows desktop, please continue with the rest of the steps.

Then #13 says:

When the installation begins, keep following the prompts in order to continue with the installation process. Do not make any changes to default settings and when the program has finished installing, make sure you leave both the Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware checked. Then click on the Finish button. If MalwareBytes' prompts you to reboot, please do not do so.

I had misread #13 at first and missed -the now red since I changed it here - 'not'.

So I think the answer to your question your question is yes - run RKill and MBAM in Safe Mode with Networking.

Said as nicely as I can... At the bottom of the self help guide that you referenced, it says:

If you have any questions about this self-help guide then please post those questions in our AntiVirus, Firewall and Privacy Products and Protection Methods forum and someone will help you.

Edited by Bill253, 17 February 2011 - 10:28 AM.

#4 draven

draven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:36 AM

Thanks for the replies. I ran both in Safe Mode and it didnt work, so i ran RKill in Normal mode and it worked and now it seems to be gone.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:16 AM

Glad you resolved it :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users