Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Message "Windows found activity on this computer and will do a quick scan"

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 silver threads

silver threads

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 17 February 2011 - 06:28 AM

While browsing the internet last night the above message appeared on screen. I was unsure whether this was a genuine Microsoft alert or a fraud and shut down my computer when a scan started. I have now run a scan with McAfee Internet security which reported no issues detected. My concern now is not knowing whether this was a genuine part of the Windows 7 security or not and would appreciate advice on this. I am 3 days into a 30 day shareware trial of FastStone Capture and wonder if this might have been the cause of the "alert"

Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:53 PM

No, this is not a normal window ... it's scareware. Follow the instructions and post a new topic explaining your problem here --> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum103.html

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 silver threads

silver threads
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 17 February 2011 - 06:19 PM

Thank you for that response. You say it is scareware but now I do not know if there is something on my computer that should not be there or not, as McAfee fund nothing. I cannot remember whether I clicked on anything when the message appeared or whether the scan started without my doing anything. I turned the computer off ftom the Start button within a couple of seconds after the scan seemed to start. Clicking on the link you have given me may not be of help to you as I cannot remember the precise wording of the message but it was as near to the heading as I can recall. If you can help me further on what I have given you I would be grateful. My previous laptop had MalwareBytes from Bleeping Computer and I wonder if I could use it on this new Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit laptop.

Please advise if you think I have a problem, I am now concerned that McAfee has been bypassed and my security compromised.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 17 February 2011 - 06:47 PM

Hi Silverthreads

Yes. There is a chance something did get by McAfee. It can happen to the best of protection programs.

Please follow the instructions given by Jacee in the post directly above you last post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users