Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP SP3 on Dell 400/9150 continuous reboot

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dgeek

dgeek

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 17 February 2011 - 06:09 AM

A friend brought a Dell 400/9150 with 1 GB of memory and a 320 GB SATA Hard Drive, to me because it cycles through the boot process continuously. Selected all options (safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with DOS prompt, normal, last known working set-up) the same results. They start to load Windows then reboot. The friend did not have the original Windows install CD from Dell dfor this PC.

When he first brought it me, he got a black screen and no boot. I thought it was a bad hard drive, so I moved the hard drive to my machine and wa sable to see the drive and all of the data.

I remounted the drive in the Dell and tried to fix the Windows install by booting from a Windows XP SP2 install CD. It booted to the install but when I got to the second screen looking for hardware and where to install, there were no hard drives. It would not recognize the SATA hard drive in the Windows install mode. I rebooted and checked the bios, it could see the SATA drive.

I tried the suggestions for black screen in this forum. I mounted the drive in my machine and ran CHKDSK. No errors. I Tried the boot.ini fix and no change. I tried the MBR fix the boot sector fix and the ntldr fix. No change. I had a SATA hard drie with windows on it so i put it into te Dell. It started to boot but was a encounterd an error. I concluded the SATa controllers were functioning properly at this point.

After many hours I installed the hard drive in my machine and installed Windows XP from a standard XP install CD. It installed and ran all of the uipdates. It is now up-to-date with all SP3 and updates. However when I put it back into the Dell 400, it goes into a continuous reboot. No matter what mode I select. It starts to load Windows and then reboots. I have tried all modes.

I downloaded the chipset drivers and installed them but no change - still does the continuous boot.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:01 AM

Moving XP to new MB or Computer - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

Louis

#3 dgeek

dgeek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2011 - 02:51 PM

Thanks!

I get the message. Tell my former friend that I can't help him and send him to an authorized Dell support person.

Thnaks again.

You can close this topic.

Dutchgeek

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users