Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issues with Vista UI. Taskbar/Checkboxes unclickable, etc

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Commodore8888

Commodore8888

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:58 PM

I've been having intermittent issues with the Vista UI as of late (Home Premium SP2 clean install) where the taskbar minimized items will become unresponsive (clicking animation but the program will not maximize) and items such as checkboxes will have a similar issue where the clicking animation shows, but no action is taken(no uncheck/check). This does not seem to affect checkboxes inside some programs such as firefox, excel, etc. Currently I have the Windows update screen open and it is happening right now.

So far I've run Windows repair thinking explorer may have become corrupted. According to windows nothing was found. I've checked the reg for bad entries, and have removed any shell enhancement programs. (Not that there were many to begin with but just in case. Maybe some left over reg entries from said programs?)

Interestingly this seems to affect some games that use keyboard shorcuts and keypress+mouseclick shortcuts in a very similar fashion where the shorcut notification will flash but no action is taken.

Sys Info
Vista Home Premium SP2
Intel I7-860
Radeon HD 4870
MSI P55-GD65

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2011 - 02:01 PM

Have you checked Event Viewer for possible clues?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic40108.html

Louis

#3 Commodore8888

Commodore8888
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:55 PM

It was one of the first things I had done. I hadn't seen anything that correlated until today. Sifting through the folders I noticed that the diagperf.dll is throwing events at or around the same time when problems start. I don't know if thats really it but I'll keep looking.

From Event--

Diagnostic module {282396b2-6c46-4d66-b413-70b0445df33c} (%SystemRoot%\system32\diagperf.dll) finished troubleshooting scenario {186f47ef-626c-4670-800a-4a30756babad}, instance {429dca75-0a35-4886-aefa-678f0f38edb6}, original activity ID {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}. No resolution was set by the diagnostic module.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users