- Starting Feb 10, 2011, Firefox and my computer in general started to act slow when it never had before.
- We investigated and saw I had "used" 1 terabyte of space, which didn't seem right. I went out and bought a back up drive, and didn't use the computer for the remainder of the weekend.
- When I got home from work on Feb 14, 2011 my roommate sat me down to and delivered the bad news, he said my computer was invested with trojans and viruses, and that AVG couldn't remove them all.
- I tried two free virus removers, first http://www.emsisoft.com/en/ 's free remover, then I tried the free version of avast. Both removed all threats and viruses by two.
- Today a friend recommended combofix, so I ran it. (Sorry, didn't see until too late that I was supposed to wait) I ran it, and although
- I uninstalled AVG so I could use combofix, but it continued to say it was running. - Out of desperation I unchecked most items that come up on start-up and some processes since many looked suspicious. After this I restarted and combofix finally ran without saying AVG was running.
- After combofix was done, I restarted and the computer is running close to normal. Not everything is recovered, and there's a strange delay when I go to "my computer" (searchlight loading icon before everything there loads, which never happened before)
I'm not sure if my computer issues are resolved or not. I've attached the log the combofix provided me.
*** Another oddity. I upload pictures all of the time. One of my camera's SD memory cards has a file that says "worm" inexplicably. I wonder if all the photos in this card are virus infected now? I also wonder if I can back-up my documents on my back-up drive and feel safe that they're virus-free?
I would appreciate any feedback that can be provided. Sorry I do not have more details.
Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal