Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Crashed

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ggk

ggk

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 16 February 2011 - 02:09 PM

Good afternoon folks, I am having a really hard time trying to figure out this problem, my computer shut down and is leaving this message. "A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer,if this is the first time you have this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps, Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or back-up utilities. Check your hard drive confriguration and check for any up-dated drivers. Run CHKDSK/F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer"....also says; Technical information: *** stop: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x082D46948, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000). I have no idea as to what has caused this but am will to learn how to remove it if it's possible., and thank you BC for allowing me to be a part of your family.

Edited by boopme, 17 February 2011 - 12:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ggk

ggk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2011 - 04:10 PM

I forgot to mention that I use Windows XP Home edition........ggk

If I am in the wrong place/forum for this question, please advise me, and move as directed to proper place.

Edited by ggk, 16 February 2011 - 04:14 PM.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 17 February 2011 - 12:42 PM

Though this error is caused due to many reasons, the primary root cause of this trouble is due to the Ntfs.sys file damage.
I will move you to the XP forum.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2011 - 12:48 PM

Please explain your problem IN DETAIL. Thank you.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2011 - 01:27 PM

From www.aumha.org website:

"0x00000024: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
A problem occurred within NTFS.SYS, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. There may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software. I suggest running ChkDsk or ScanDisk as a first step; then disable all file system filters such as virus scanners, firewall software, or backup utilities. Check the file properties of NTFS.SYS to ensure it matches the current OS or SP version. Update all disk, tape backup, CD-ROM, or removable device drivers to the most current versions."

Sometimes running the chkdsk /r command can overcome this...sometimes not. If the file system...and not the file...is the problem, chkdsk /r will not necessarily overcome. But running chkdsk /r should be the first step.

Louis

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2011 - 01:50 PM

Sorry - completely missed the first post at the top of the page :huh:

Download BlueScreenView:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.
when scanning is done, go to EDIT - Select All
Go to FILE - SAVE Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your next reply

#7 ggk

ggk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2011 - 04:57 PM

Thank you Hamluis and Allen, I would try your suggestions, however I can not open or even go to any programs on this computer....I have tried to boot up in safe mode with network, as well as plain safe mode with no response from my computer.,In fact it will just go back to the blue screen that describes the error message. Could it be possible that my hard drive is shot??, just a guess!.....ggk

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2011 - 05:05 PM

Do you have an XP CD? If so, change the boot order in bios so the cd drive is the first device, then boot to the XP CD. Choose the first repair option (press "R") and you will be taken to the recovery console. Once there, run chkdsk /r

If you don't have an XP CD, go to the website of your hd manufacturer, download their diagnostic utility, burn it to disk, boot to it and run it.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2011 - 05:09 PM

It could be...it could be that your file system (not the hard drive itself) has gone bad...it could be various things.

System manufacturer and model?

The instruction to run chkdsk in the error message...should be attempted, with the exception of changing the command from chkdsk /f to chkcdsk /r. Based on the results of doing that, we could then refine our guesses.

Do you have the XP Recovery Console installed on your systme?

Do you have a Windows XP CD?

Do you have access to a second computer system?

Louis

#10 ggk

ggk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2011 - 05:11 PM

Thank you Allen, I will look to see if I have the xp cd

#11 ggk

ggk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2011 - 05:16 PM

Yes Louis I do have access to a second computer.I am still looking for the CD, I know I have it here somewhere!

#12 ggk

ggk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2011 - 06:50 PM

This is what I found so far,my computer is a Dell Dimension 5150 and I have what is called an Operating system/ Reinstallation CD, Microsoft-Windows-XP Home Edition-Service Pack 2, Is this what I need??, I think it is, however I would feel at ease with your addressing this being what I need.

#13 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:04 AM

Do you have an XP CD? If so, change the boot order in bios so the cd drive is the first device, then boot to the XP CD. Choose the first repair option (press "R") and you will be taken to the recovery console. Once there, run chkdsk /r

If you don't have an XP CD, go to the website of your hd manufacturer, download their diagnostic utility, burn it to disk, boot to it and run it.

Try the above.

#14 ggk

ggk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:32 AM

Thank you Allen, I will do as you have offered and will keep you posted as to the outcome of this process.., again, thanks!

#15 ggk

ggk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2011 - 01:37 PM

Good morning BC., After many trials and errors, I was un-able to restore or get my Computer up and running, I followed all applications to the letter, and to the ones offered above!, but to no avail., However, I ended up taking it to a friend and he could not get it going as well, he said that he thought that the Hard Drive was the problem, so I ordered a "New" one and now it is working fine, amen!!. I also want to Thank all here who in there Attempt who tried to help me to understand, and what to do in order for this computer to boost up. Bleeping Computer is the best , and so many intelligent people here who's directions help me save a computer,I surly would have purchased another one....Thank you all so very much for your support!....ggk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users