Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cool Edit will no longer record

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 GeraldUK

GeraldUK

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 16 February 2011 - 12:04 PM

I am running XP Home SP3, 2g RAM on a desktop, NVIDIA nforce VAPU/Sonata soundcard.

Cool Edit Pro 2 is one of my applications and over the last few years I have been converting my LPs to CDs., using CEP in to produce the wav file then declick it etc. I also use it to record off air and there is a cable from my preamp to Line in on my computer. If required I can playback to my Hi Fi speakers using the “return” end of this cable, but normally I will monitor the wav files on my local computer speakers, as really the intention is to get the wave file burnt onto a CD.

Launching CEP the other day it will no longer record from line in - all I get are the straight line on the both channels instead of the waveform forming just behind the moving vertical line over both channels. However, it does extract tracks from my CD drive, although that must be a different part of the program. Funnily enough it displays and plays old wav files produced on it beautifully!

It seems that this is a common fault as the Help section says:
Q: I can't record in Cool Edit Pro. When I try, I get a flat line, and no sound when I play. What's wrong?
A:
You may have the record level set too low for the audio signal you're trying to record, or your sound card’’s mixer might not have the desired input set to record.

This thread started on another topic on the XP forum, and it was suggested I uninstall and reinstall the program. This I have done but the fault is still there. I have also downloaded “Audacity” a similar sort of program, only to find that I have the same problem - I cannot record using line in.

I don’t know if anyone else has experienced this fairly basic error. When both similar programs are showing the same fault is it more my system I wonder.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Gerald

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 16 February 2011 - 04:48 PM

I assume you haven't changed the CEP settings.

Did you upgrade your sound card drivers recently? Or did you install a new sound card?

This complaint has been common in Vista and W7 systems, and seems to be more frequent in XP systems lately. Sound card manufacturers appear to be removing this functionality. A shame, since it's still legal to record anything that's legally playing, as far as I know.

#3 GeraldUK

GeraldUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2011 - 05:56 AM

Good point on settings.

It is possible that when I reinstalled the setting might have been changed - not sure.

The problem is that CEP went to the trouble of producing a 300 odd pdf Help manual based very heavily on the online Help. The setting under Options>Device Properties, Device order point to “Wave Mapper” as my device, not my NVIDIA sound card which it has recognised. However, the Help Manual is completely silent on “Wave Mapper” or any suggested default settings.

I have not changed the sound card (which is built in to the motherboard) nor drivers. Not good news on future decreased functionality as I have a load of LPs and tapes to do!

Gerald

#4 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2011 - 01:17 PM

I'm sorry -- I missed the part about "Line-in." That functionality should not be removed by new drivers -- it's the "Wave in," or "Stereo mix" that's being removed. I misread your problem.

I'm afraid I don't have any idea why it fails to record from the Line-in, although the fact that Audacity also can't record from the Line-in suggests that the problem isn't with CEP. That pretty much leaves the drivers, hardware, or the stereo source. Have you tried different cables and a different stereo source? Does your computer have more than one set of audio jacks? (Mine has a set in front and another in back.)

#5 GeraldUK

GeraldUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2011 - 04:39 PM

I have not tried any other cables, but I think the cable from my Naim preamp to my one set of jacks is ok. It is split into 2 at the computer end with obviously arrows for directionality.

I say this because if I have my hi fi on (and the cable is always left in line in) and I reboot, as it goes through the boot process it plays for 25 seconds or so whatever is playing through the hi-fi speakers also through the computer speakers. Most certainly, over the years, the recording via line in always worked 100%.

In CEP I can load a wav file and play it through either my computer speakers, or by adjusting cables, through just my hi fi. Have done both of these things this afternoon.

So whilst, not electrically orientated, what I am able to do seems to suggest that the hi fi to computer cable is live and working.

However, is there any way the current can be checked - a voltmeter or similar?

Audacity also showing the same fault is very boring, as the sound card is built into the motherboard. Perhaps the next step is to update the complete NVIDIA audio set-up - I don’t think they let you just update the relevant driver.

#6 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:28 PM

I do a lot of LP and cassette conversions myself, and if I was troubleshooting this on my rig I'd start by digging my old cassette deck out (preferably one with VU meters)and swap the stereo lines from the computer's Line-in jacks to the cassette deck's. If the VU meters showed a reasonable signal and the cassette deck properly recorded a signal, that would show you have a good source.

Next, I'd plug the headphone output of a known good cassette player (or MP3 player)into the computer's Line-in port, try to record with CEP, starting with low volume and gradually increasing the player's volume.

An ordinary voltmeter/multimeter probably won't help. If you had access to an oscilloscope, that would do it -- but if it was me I'd probably try to use a cassette deck with VU meters!

My computer has on-board audio support, too.* It doesn't happen all that often, but it is possible for components to go bad, connections to break, even jacks and plugs can wear out.

* In all honesty, the on-board audio was too noisy for me, and I don't use my computer for critical recording anymore.

Edited by Capn Easy, 17 February 2011 - 07:29 PM.

#7 GeraldUK

GeraldUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 05:15 PM

Thanks for your response.

When I have two separate applications - Cool Edit Pro2 and Audacity that both refuse to create any waveform from my line in you have to look at the cable!

I would be inclined to follow your advice but my problem is that the manufacturer of my hi fi, Naim, has - to the annoyance of the rest of the hi fi industry - always opted for 5 pin DIN sockets. So, on the preamp end of my cable there is a DIN connect. Infuriating!

I have spoken to my Hi fi dealer who is quite happy to test the cable, but very much doubts it is a cable fault. This is because when I boot my computer (and I always leave the cable in the line in socket) and if, at that time my hi fi is playing something - either a CD or tuner, as the computer goes through its boot process I get exactly what I am hearing through my hi fi loudspeakers through my computer speakers for about 25 or so seconds then Windows will launch, ask for my log on, and the computer speakers go silent then play the Windows welcome message.

I did look at the Registry entries, but whilst some were obvious, most of the entries I cannot really understand.

Frustrating.

#8 GeraldUK

GeraldUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:54 AM

Simply for the record I have solved the problem.

I went to the motherboard manufacturer ASUSTek and downloaded the slightly old (2006) Realtek AC97 audio drivers for the board.

I suppose I could have used the NVIDIA one but not sure how this may have been tweeked.

Presume a driver must have got corrupted.

Thanks for your help.

#9 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2011 - 03:38 PM

Good job! I hate it when we're all trying to be logical and the computer just does something screwy like that!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users