Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer will not boot up, it just restarts.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 KITB

KITB

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:45 AM

Ok. I read the guideline post before posting so bear with me. Hello my name is Kyle and I work at a computer repair shop and I have been this for quite a few years now. I just ran upon a repair that has be dumbfounded. Let me explain to you exactly what is going on.

The customer brings in a computer that will not boot up. Ok simple. I was thinking something along the lines of boot up error or bad harddrive. Let me tell you what all I have done.

I tried to reinstall the operating system. Would not boot from CD
I tried to install a new hard drive with xp pre installed. It gets as far as seeing a split second of the xp boot screen fading in and then restarts.
I then tried booting from an external CD Drive. Finally, I see the blue set up screen. It shows a list of all the drives plugged in.... there are none.

So I am lost. I am thinking new motherboard but I really dont want to buy that and it be something too simple.
This is a Dell XPS 400 with XP 32bit operating system.

Any ideas?

Edited by KITB, 16 February 2011 - 10:48 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 16 February 2011 - 12:49 PM

I have to ask the obvious, is the CD-ROM set as the first device in the boot order in the BIOS?

Can you access the BIOS?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 KITB

KITB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:44 PM

I have to ask the obvious, is the CD-ROM set as the first device in the boot order in the BIOS?

Can you access the BIOS?

Oh wow, Yes. Not a newbie at computer repair man... been doing it for years and this is my 1st time having to ask for help... Just keep that in mind

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:52 PM

Can you access the BIOS?

Oh wow, Yes. Not a newbie at computer repair man... been doing it for years and this is my 1st time having to ask for help... Just keep that in mind

That's the way to encourage people to help you. Way to go.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:05 PM

<<The customer brings in a computer that will not boot up.>>

Error messages?

Signs of life?

Try a different PSU?

Can you get into the BIOS?

Checked the Dell support page for troubleshooting on that system?

Louis

#6 KITB

KITB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2011 - 02:22 PM

Can you access the BIOS?

Ok since my post has apparently offended some people, let me explain why I said that. The question was unreasonable... Even if this was my 1st time ever repairing a computer, asking if the CD-ROM was set as the first device on boot is not a possible problem because I clearly stated that the CD booted from disk before, but there was no hard drive listed in the windows set up Therefor, making the question irrelevant. Sorry to have offended you, but please read the post before responding. I am pretty sure that is a rule on every forum. Not trying to be a butt hole, and I do understand that this is all volunteer work, and I thankful that this board is here because I really do need the assistance of further qualified people, I do admit, my response was a little harsh, and I do apologize for it.

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:56 PM

.....because I clearly stated that the CD booted from disk before.....

I see no mention of that in your first post.

Have you tried any of the suggestions offered by Louis?

#8 KITB

KITB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 07:01 AM

.....because I clearly stated that the CD booted from disk before.....

I see no mention of that in your first post.

Have you tried any of the suggestions offered by Louis?

"I then tried booting from an external CD Drive. Finally, I see the blue set up screen. It shows a list of all the drives plugged in.... there are none."

Yes I had an employee try a couple with no success... Not too sure what the exact outcome was thought because he was doing it between jobs, but I will take another look at it Monday

Edited by KITB, 05 March 2011 - 07:02 AM.

#9 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2011 - 08:51 AM

An external CD drive is seen as a USB device not as an on board. The listing`s would be different in the BIOS for what the boot order needed to be set at. Older PC`s may not support booting from a USB device\external drive.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 05 March 2011 - 11:30 AM

An external CD drive is seen as a USB device not as an on board. The listing`s would be different in the BIOS for what the boot order needed to be set at. Older PC`s may not support booting from a USB device\external drive.

My point exactly.:thumbup2:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users