Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cursor unresponsive

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Shane-N

Shane-N

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 16 February 2011 - 12:50 AM

While on line my courser will work great then randomly become ineffective when i click on anything. I noticed when i have this problem by clicking start menu a few maybe just once it then resolves its self. I have up to date AV and regularly scheduled maintenance. System has 6GB DDR3 RAM and a 1TB hard drive so the pc is not bogged down. My C: drive is only at about 10% capacity. Does any one know how i can resolve this annoyance?
Namaste

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 T3h

T3h

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 16 February 2011 - 02:18 AM

Hello Shane, Just out of curiosity what type of mouse are you using, eg wireless, one which contains a Usb Port as it may be just hardware related.

#3 Shane-N

Shane-N
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2011 - 02:43 AM

It is the stock one that came with the Asus CM5571 I have. It is an Asus mouse, USB connection.
Namaste

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:02 AM

What happens in safe mode?

#5 Shane-N

Shane-N
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2011 - 04:17 PM

I will check when i get home from work.
Namaste

#6 Shane-N

Shane-N
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:32 PM

For the record it is the cursor that is being intermittenly unresponsive when clicking.
Namaste

#7 Shane-N

Shane-N
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:54 AM

I am in safe mode now and i have 7 open tabs with different sites in each some logged in others in open sites. I am having no trouble with my cursor. I'm going to play around then rebood normally and see if i notice a difference.
Namaste

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:28 AM

I am in safe mode now and i have 7 open tabs with different sites in each some logged in others in open sites. I am having no trouble with my cursor. I'm going to play around then rebood normally and see if i notice a difference.

What that probably means is that some software (possibly even a driver) is probably causing the problem. What you might want to do is this:

Open msconfig and choose selective startup (disable everything from loading) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. However, if the problem continues even with the first selective startup it's possible we're looking at a hardware related issue.

#9 Shane-N

Shane-N
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2011 - 04:48 PM

I will check that out. thanks.
Namaste

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2011 - 04:50 PM

Yep. Please post back with results.

#11 Shane-N

Shane-N
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:38 PM

I instead chose to run CC Cleaner and install google chrome. After doing so and installing multiple new downloads I have not run into this problem nearly as often. I mention the downloads because you suggested using MS Configure to see if perhaps it was a download. It seems perhaps it may not because i have even more installments now and am not experiencing the problem. The reason i question if the problem is truly fixed is because it seems to come and go. I am also stumped as to why the start menu being clicked seems to refresh my system? It is difficult to find the solution using the method you describe because this error is not a constant. It is more prevelent day- x than it will be on day- y and i am not sure when it will rear its ugly head!!!!! Do you know why clicking the start menu puts the system back on track? I have run all my system security and performance programs and they have found nothing.

Edited by Shane-N, 18 February 2011 - 08:42 PM.

Namaste

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:58 PM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#13 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2011 - 08:36 AM

I instead chose to run CC Cleaner and install google chrome. After doing so and installing multiple new downloads I have not run into this problem nearly as often. I mention the downloads because you suggested using MS Configure to see if perhaps it was a download. It seems perhaps it may not because i have even more installments now and am not experiencing the problem. The reason i question if the problem is truly fixed is because it seems to come and go. I am also stumped as to why the start menu being clicked seems to refresh my system? It is difficult to find the solution using the method you describe because this error is not a constant. It is more prevelent day- x than it will be on day- y and i am not sure when it will rear its ugly head!!!!! Do you know why clicking the start menu puts the system back on track? I have run all my system security and performance programs and they have found nothing.

I said nothing about downloads. If you wish to follow the (admittedly tedious) method I suggested above, I'm sure it will help you identify the process causing the problem. However, it is your system and certainly your option to choose whether or not to follow the instructions.

#14 Shane-N

Shane-N
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2011 - 02:33 PM

I thought u were refering to start up programs, some of which are downloads like yahoo messenger or other widgets. The new browser seems to have helped. Thank you for the advice i will follow the directions when i get the time and i will post my findings.

Thank you bleepin madman for the neat snapshot info will do once i am back on home PC. :clapping:

Edited by Shane-N, 19 February 2011 - 02:37 PM.

Namaste

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users