Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Online Photo Album

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 17 December 2005 - 01:06 PM

Just got back from vacation and have a whole bunch of pictures. Looking for recommendations for free online photo albums that are easy to use (particularly for the viewer).
Derfram
~~~~~~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2005 - 05:39 PM

The wife likes this app.

Adobe Photo Album
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,717 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2005 - 08:55 PM

Thanks Acklan, but that looks like a stand alone application rather than an online repository.

I know Yahoo has an available online photo album (or 'Image Hosting'), as does Shutterfly and other. Just looking for other suggestions and opinions in the hopes that I don't have to try 100 services before finding a good one.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2005 - 10:18 PM

:thumbsup: Oops...
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 17 December 2005 - 11:07 PM

I would if you want to share your pics with family and friends simply is to get a free website.
http://www.100webspace.com

You could make a simple webpage and space your images out with whatever you want to say below it.

This is just a simple idea if you wanted to make one yourself...

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 23 December 2005 - 12:11 AM

PictureTrail at www.picturetrail.com may not be very fancy but it's about as easy to use as you can get.
The viewer just types in your name and they get icons for your albums. Click the album and they get a lh column of thumbnails and the selected image displayed with a bit of wallpaper and a frame in the rh of the page. There's even a "slideshow" button.

My only complaint is (depending on your screen resolution) the pictures can be small and you can't zoom in so far as I can tell.

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#7 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,717 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2005 - 01:57 AM

PictureTrail looked pretty good, but even the payed account does not allow alot of pictures. I ended up on a site that I have been using for 'linked' pictures - Photobucket. I didn't realize that they were more 'full service' until someone pointed it out to me.

If anyone is interested, http://photobucket.com/albums/v259/davel/ , click on Hawaiian Vacation, then either Big Island or Kauai.

Edited by ddeerrff, 23 December 2005 - 01:58 AM.

Derfram
~~~~~~

#8 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2005 - 05:40 AM

Are you sure about those restrictions? I admit I'd never looked at the max storage since I never envisaged posting a lot of photos but I checked back at picturetrail and found this under my (free) account details:

Space Allocated For Account 75.0 megabytes

But if I upgrade to a paid account I get -

500 photos or 50 mb space

???-I think that's a typo, it should read "or 500 MB space" since you can store photos up to 1MB size.

Q: How much disk space and bandwidth do I get?
A: Currently, Free accounts get 50 MB of space and 2,500 MB of bandwidth per month. Premium accounts are allowed up to 1 GB of disk space and have bandwidth restrictions lifted. Please see Upgrade for more details..

Just posting this info as others may be interested also.

Anyway your photos look good on Photobucket. Glad you found somewhere that suits. :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#9 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2005 - 04:18 AM

I emailed PictureTrail re the anomalous storage sizes and here is their reply:

Paid accounts on Picturetrail offer more storage space and number of
photos than the free account.

For sample accounts (valid for 30 days after initial registration) we offer
500 photos or 50 MB space, whichever is reached first. After the 30 day
trial period, your account automatically becomes a free account. Free
accounts have 36 photos or 20 MB space limit (whichever is reached first).

At the minimum paid level of $19.95 per year, you can get storage space
of 50MB or 500 photos, whichever is reached first.

The details for free accounts and upgradation levels can be found on:

Frequently Asked Questions:
http://www.picturetrail.com/pages/accountU...unts_faqs.shtml

Intro Account Details:
http://www.picturetrail.com/pages/accountU...o_account.shtml

Main Upgrade Page:
http://www.picturetrail.com/pages/accountUpgrade/

Gary, PT Support

That clears everything up. Not. :thumbsup:

So I guess the message is use PictureTrail only for DISPOSABLE photos because the free accounts are small and they won't stay around for long and the paid accounts aren't worth the money.

Edited by Rimmer, 27 December 2005 - 04:33 AM.

#10 damweed

damweed

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 06 January 2006 - 05:39 PM

Try www.photosite.com It's free and it's good!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users