Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

msvcrt40 /justsched / pev.cfxxe issues w Bad Image

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 catalan13

catalan13

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:50 PM

I am running on Windows XP Professional 20002 (service pack 3. My computer is an Intel®Core™ 2 CPU; 6700@2.66ghz

My issues have been with a window that pops up that states "MSVCRT40.DLL not a valid windows image". I had ignored it for a while but then tonight I couldnt start a program and got a new one that was a JAVAW.exe window. I unistalled all JAVA software thru the add/remove programes and downloaded the newest version. That went away but the MSVCRT40 got worse. I then downloaded combo fix and did a scan. Upon closing out of the I received more windows:

pev.cffxe not a valid windows image
justsched.exe not a valid windows image

I am not sure what to do and apprecate any help.

EDIT: Removed ComboFix log per Advisor request ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 16 February 2011 - 07:56 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 catalan13

catalan13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2011 - 12:04 AM

Also now I get a rundll32.exe - bad image window.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,487 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:42 AM

You need to replace the MSVCRT40.DLL file.

Locate and double-click the file you are trying to run. The DLL error should now appear, usually saying "This application has failed to start because X.dll is missing" or some variation, where X is the name of the DLL. Write down the name of the DLL file that is being asked for, such as "shell32.dll."

Press "Ok" to remove the error message and open your internet browser. Use a search engine such as Google to find a download site for the DLL file you have written down, or go to www.dll-files.com (see Resources) and enter your file in the search box. Follow the steps to download the file, which will be in a .zip format. You will need a Zip extractor file to open this file, such as WinRar which is a free program to use.

Locate the downloaded .zip file and right-click on it. On the menu, click "Extract." Extract the file onto your Desktop. You may delete the downloaded .zip file now to avoid confusion between the extracted .dll file and the .zip file.

Double-click the "My Computer" icon on your Desktop or on your Start menu. Navigate to the Hard Drive where your Operating System is installed, usually the C drive. Double Click the Windows folder, and then the system32 folder. The address you should find yourself in is "C:\WINDOWS\system32."

Drag the DLL file from your desktop into the system32 folder. This folder is where all .dll's are usually located, making this your systems "library." Once done, restart your computer, then execute your program again.

You can download the file here.

If you are still having problems you may need to register the dll.

Start -> Run -> regsvr32 MSVCRT40.dll

Combofix is a powerful tool which should only be used under the supervision of someone trained in use of it, such as a member of our Malware Removal Team. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system.

Edited by dc3, 16 February 2011 - 01:46 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 catalan13

catalan13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:41 PM

So I posted the combo fix log and it was taken off the thread. Just so I know in the future, what info did I most likely give out that I shouldnt by posteing the log? And for whoever struck it from the post....thank you.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,487 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:36 PM

I had requested that the log be removed for the time being as it looks like your problem isn't infection related. Usually when a Moderator does something of this nature they will post a brief explanation for the removal of the log, or send a PM explaining why this had been done. The log is still in the original post, it has been made invisible for the time being. If it turns out that I'm wrong it will be reopened and this topic will be moved to a more appropriate forum where it will be addressed by members that are best qualified to help you clean your computer.

For the time being, please follow my instructions to see if this solves your problem.

I feel that I should add a word of caution regarding Combofix. This is a very powerful tool that should only be used under the supervision of someone trained in its use, such as one our members of the Malware Removal Team. Improper use of this program can have disastrous results, such as stopping your computer from booting.

Edited by dc3, 18 February 2011 - 11:40 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 catalan13

catalan13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2011 - 12:39 AM

Thank you all so very much. As soon as I brought the dll in the system32 folder all went away and it works great. And thank you for the time you spent writing up the explanations.

Best you you and the others that answer these.

#7 catalan13

catalan13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2011 - 12:40 AM

Also, I had no problem with you doing what you did with the log, just wanted to make sure I didnt do anything that I wasnt supposed to. Thanks for cleaning up my mess twice.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,487 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2011 - 10:17 AM

Your very welcome!:thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users