Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop freezes shortly after startup, also in safe mode, unable to run security tools

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JayDee14

JayDee14

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:47 PM

Hi

Running Windows Vista Home Premium 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 Build 6001 on a Compaq Presario A900 Notebook PC

My laptop began freezing this morning. Shortly after it is up and running (couple of minutes) it freezes. I may be able to connect to the internet and load a webpage or two but then it freezes. I may be able to start an antivirus scan but then it freezes. After it freezes the mouse is able to move the cursor around the screen but unable to activate anything. Unable to run Task Manager.

At this point the only option is to hold the power button to force shutdown.

Ran the System Check on initial power on and everything checks out OK, no memory errors, hard drive errors etc.

Went into safe mode, tried a couple system restores......problem continues
Cleaned up hard drive, deleted unneeded files, uninstalled programs no longer needed....problem continues
Defragged the hard drive......problem continues
Unable to fully complete Malwarebytes Anti-Malware scan
Unable to fully complete AVAST Antivirus scan

Initially I was able to work in safe mode for up to 20 minutes or so but that has diminished with each forced reboot/shutdown, now safe mode only stays active/available/working for a few minutes at a time.

I originally posted this in the Vista forum and was advised to repost here and to install SP2 (I have downloaded the file and will attempt to install it).

Any thoughts on what to try next?

Thank you,
JD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JayDee14

JayDee14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 19 February 2011 - 07:43 PM

Hi

I have fixed my problem.

www.malwarehelporg/cannot-boot-into-safe-mode-2010.html showed me how to run Malwarebytes from safe mode with a command prompt.

I was unable to complete the scan (almost did but not quite) before it froze again but Malwarebytes had found an infection. I restarted into safe mode with a command prompt again and paused the Malwarebytes after it found the infection and dealt with it. It found PUP.radmin, I was able to delete it. When I booted back into windows vista it still froze. I went back to safe mode with command prompt and ran some tools such as Advanced System Care and defrag and booting back into windows has been stable ever since. I have also installed the service pack 2 for vista. I will check out the posts on keeping your computer safe from future MalWare infections.

Thanks,
JD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users