Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem Installing Windows Xp

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 medman88

medman88

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 17 December 2005 - 01:03 PM

:thumbsup: Greetings ....I have built a new gaming system for my son and am having a VERY VERY difficult time installing win xp and the drivers for my hardware. The system consists of the following:
Aspire XNavigator case with 500w psu
Asus AN8-SLI Premium Nforce4 Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
Duel Asus En6800gt 256mb ram video cards in SLI
WD Raptor 10,000rpm hdd SATA
2gb Corsair DDRRAM
Mitsumi 8in1 floppy drive
Lite-on cd and dvd burner

The system went together without any major problems and boots properly through the BIOS
and then boots from the Windows cd. The problem begins with the windows files copying to the hdd.
It took 8 hours for windows to complete the install. I have never had a problem like that before and thought
that the slowness would be resolved when I installed the motherboard drivers and video card drivers.
No such luck. The system is running extremely slow or programs are not responding at all. I had another hdd handy and tried to do another clean install on that but it is taking hours and hours for the windows files to load.
The cpu usage is always at 100%, so some thing is wrong and I can not figure out what. Could it be a motherboard problem? System information shows cpu and ram in good order. SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP

Edited by medman88, 17 December 2005 - 01:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrLister

MrLister

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 17 December 2005 - 04:54 PM

Can you get me a hijackthis log? That would help. Also go to c. panel and take a screen shot of the desvie magnger. Then post it here, that would help a lot!

:thumbsup:
Peter Amesbury
AKA MRLISTER

#3 medman88

medman88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2005 - 08:09 PM

I am unable to get this system working well enough to get online so a hijackthis log and a screen shot of device manager is not possible yet....however this system is brand new and has never been online so it isnt spyware and the device manager is showing no problems. I thought it might have been an inadequate psu so I took a video card out and disengaged 2 fans to no avail. Could it be a BIOS problem or maybe a defect in the motherboard?
Thanks.......Paul

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 18 December 2005 - 09:49 AM

Did you install the SATA drivers by pressing F6 in the beginning of installing Windows?

Strip the system down to the minimum that you can have on it and still run Windows.

Then, double and triple check all connections and try new cables (or known good one's from another machine).

Then, try a repair install to see if that was the cause.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 medman88

medman88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2005 - 08:19 PM

I installed SATA/RAID drivers from motherboard cd to fdd then to windows setup (f6). Here I was a bit confused as the choices all contained "RAID" in names. The only winxp drivers were 64 and 32 bit. I chose the 32 bit.

I checked all wiring many times over and all seems correct.

I tried taking out a video card and 2 fans to decrease the load on the power supply and that did not work.

Let me clarify that I did get winxp setup and I got all drivers setup for the motherboard and videocards but the time it took to do this was incredable. The system runs so slow but it runs without any errors other than programs not responding due to the time it takes.

I thank you all in advance for your help.....It would really hurt my ego to take this system to geeksquad or something like that!!!!
Thanks again.......Paul

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2005 - 08:59 PM

Those are the right drivers as long as you're using 32 bit XP.

Since it's setup and working - something tells me that it's a communications problem (sorta like when an IDE drive runs at ATA-33)

I know nothing about SLI - so I'm no help there.

Have you checked in Device Manager to see what transfer modes were enabled for the drives? Here's a link to the Microsoft article on it: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 medman88

medman88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2005 - 05:49 PM

Still no go.................Here's a summary of whats been tried so far.
Thought it was inadequate psu, so I tried taking out one video card, 1 Gb RAM, and disengaging 2 case fans.
Tried installing all latest drivers.
Tried taking out all drives 1 at a time.
Tried different hard drive.
Tried reseating CPU.
Tried reconnecting all cables and checked all connections many times over.
There are no jumpers on Motherboard so that is not an issue.

Tried everything that has been suggested on this forum and on 2 other forums.
I am willing to keep trying!!!! If it is the CPU or the Motherboard that is bad, then it boggles my mind why I get absolutley no errors in windows, in device manager, and in system information. The CPU and Ram is recognized and all devices are in good order according to the device manager. I am stumped. Could it be an IRQ conflict?

#8 medman88

medman88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2005 - 07:30 AM

I AM GOING TO REPLACE RAM....I WILL LET YOU KNOW IF THIS IS IT

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2005 - 08:28 AM

Does this happen with a DOS boot disk? (or, does the computer POST normally and then bog down when loading Windows?)

Have you tried a memory tester yet? Here's a few links:

http://www.simmtester.com/page/products/doc/download.asp
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
http://www.memtest.org/
http://www.memtest86.com/

http://www.hcidesign.com/ (This one is Windows based)

Try stripping the system down to the basics (power supply, 1 stick of RAM, mobo, CPU and cooler, vid card, keyboard - no drives, no nothing else!)
Then boot up with a DOS disk.
Add the hard drive next.
Boot with a DOS disk.
Boot into Windows next and see if this causes the problem.
Continue adding devices until the problem reoccurs.

#10 medman88

medman88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2005 - 08:22 PM

I replaced RAM and it is not the problem...I am totally lost on this one!!!!

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2005 - 03:44 PM

You've gotta make a plan for checking each piece of hardware and stick to it!

Jumping around will just cost you a whole bunch of money! (but you'll have most of the pieces for a new PC when you're done!)

I'm not kidding here. My old computer took a lightning strike about a year ago. I started replacing stuff - and replaced virtually everything (mobo, CPU, Vid Card, Sound Card, NIC card, Memory) and nothing fixed it.

Then I happened to remove my TV card - and like magic, all my problems went away! So, I got a nice new system out of it, and I have a decent second system because of it - and have learned my lesson about throwing money at a problem! :thumbsup:

#12 medman88

medman88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2006 - 10:12 AM

Just a word to let you know that it was the motherboard all along. Thanks to all who replied to my request for help. I was able to get replacements of RAM and Motherboard with no problems from Newegg.com. It was a good (but frustrating) learning experience.
Oh!! by the way the system rocks!!!!!!!!!!

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2006 - 11:34 AM

Thanks for letting us know what happened! I'm glad you got it sorted out!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users