Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Play Old Download? What Are Codecs?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cj500

cj500

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 17 December 2005 - 12:15 PM

I downloaded some video two years ago and it worked fine on my windows media player, but when i took it out recently to play it again i got this message:

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file".

any ideas, I think i upgraded to windows media 9, also i did a reboot within the last year? but why would the CD work on my computer two years ago and not work now? also what are codecs- do i need to update them? thanks :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lore

lore

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 13 January 2006 - 08:40 AM

What kind of file is it? Windows Media Player has trouble playing certain files (I've encountered this problem as well). You may need to download another media player. Generally I've had trouble with .avi files in the past. I can recommend a few good free programs if you're interested.

Here's a definition of CODEC
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codecs

Good luck. :)

#3 Sprite_Feedback

Sprite_Feedback

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 30 January 2006 - 03:06 PM

Gspot is a handy app for finding out what codec a video file needs.

g

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users