Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

please help me i am going to lose my mind

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
47 replies to this topic

#1 youngmomma

youngmomma

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 15 February 2011 - 07:34 PM

i did not install or change anything i went to bed last night and was so exhausted i just reached over to shut down my computer with the shut down menu and accidently went to log off/switch user and so i hit escape causwe i was literally too tired to look for cancel and then selected shut down and went to sleep assuming the computer shut down.

this morning my six year old woke me up and said mom you left the computer on all night.. i half asleep looked up at the screen and somewht remember an avast warning as this is the antivirus i use but still was so tired said go back to bed and leave it alone and i went back to sleep well by the time i got back up the computer screen turned off for power saver so i had forgotten all about previous happeneings and pushed the power button thinking i was powering up the computer. i heard the sounds of it shutting down and though oh ok ill just turn it back on.

no big deal right?? no it came up and wouldnt load to windows so i went to safe mode and i have tune up portable and one click maintanence on it so in safe mode i ran one click and it found some application errors fixed em and i ran tune up portable and did a registyr check and it was fine then i tried to go to a system restore and all my restore points are gone... so then i went to the disk tune up on the tune up app and went to run scn dsk and restart it then this is where i am at now..

cannot load to any mode!!! safe w or w/out networking or last known good config or normally and it continously boots and restarts and rrestarts and for some reason when it is trying to load windows the cd drive makes a sound and if i push the eject button nonstop while trying to load it gets to the splash screen but that is aws far as it will go before it reboots again!! i can get to the setup by pressing f2 and have downloaded a program that was supposed to start before it loaded windows to look for a virus but that didnt work either! it had a - blinking for a second then same thing no difference. and i even changed the order in whicc h the drives load and my cd/dvd drive is number one now... i am soo mad please all my pics are on here i have no xp install disc because this was a gift from my husband from a friend. it is windows xp and i cannot get to any of the other info cause cannot get to my desktop . please you guys have always helped me before you gotta help me fix this my whole life is on this comp... please tell me it is a virus?? and it can be fixed? i am going to repost this in virus section as well and feel free if its in the wrong area to delete it thank you guys and God bless

Edited by Orange Blossom, 15 February 2011 - 09:00 PM.
Moved to AII. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 youngmomma

youngmomma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2011 - 07:35 PM

sorry i am using a dell desktop windows xp dont know much more without accessing the desktop i know i have the recovery counsel from your help before but canot acces it it says " WINDOWS COULD NOT START BECAUSE OF A COMPUTER DISK HARDWARE CONFIGURATION PROBOLEM. COULD NOT READ FROM THE SELECTED BOOT DISK. CHECK BOOT PATH AND DISK HARDWARE. PLEASE CHECK THE WINDOWS DOCUMENTATION ABOUT HARDWARE DISK CONFIGURATION AND YOUR HARDWARE REFERENCE MANUALS FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION." again i dont have any manuals or disks thank you for your help.

Edited by youngmomma, 15 February 2011 - 07:39 PM.

#3 youngmomma

youngmomma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2011 - 09:58 PM

ok i have now been able to run the avira antivir rescue system on my computer and it is currently scanning please respond with further steps i should take thank you

nope found 13 infected files and one trojan horse and i restarted and same thing restart restart restart and now i have tried to use kapersky which would not even load and now i am downloading bit defender rescue disc iso to see if that will work someone please help me!!

Edited by youngmomma, 15 February 2011 - 11:06 PM.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,416 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:16 PM

Can you now do this.

Reboot into Safe Mode with Networking
How to enter safe mode(XP/Vista)
Using the F8 Method
Restart your computer.
When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
Select the option for Safe Mode with Networking using the arrow keys.
Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode

>>>> Download this file and doubleclick on it to run it. Allow the information to be merged with the registry.

RKill....

Download and Run RKill
  • Please download RKill by Grinler from one of the 4 links below and save it to your desktop.

Link 1
    Link 2
    Link 3
    Link 4

• Before we begin, you should disable your anti-malware softwares you have installed so they do not interfere RKill running as some anti-malware softwares detect RKill as malicious. Please refer to this page if you are not sure how.
  • Double-click on Rkill on your desktop to run it. (If you are using Windows Vista, please right-click on it and select Run As Administrator)
  • A black screen will appear and then disappear. Please do not worry, that is normal. This means that the tool has been successfully executed.
  • If nothing happens or if the tool does not run, please let me know in your next reply

Do not reboot your computer after running rkill as the malware programs will start again. Or if rebooting is required run it again.

If you continue having problems running rkill.com, you can download iExplore.exe or eXplorer.exe, which are renamed copies of rkill.com, and try them instead.

Next run Superantisypware (SAS):

Download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free for Home Users
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSpyware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here. Double-click on the hyperlink for Download Installer and save SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to your desktop. Then double-click on SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to install the definitions.)
  • In the Main Menu, click the Preferences... button.
  • Click the Scanning Control tab.
  • Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen.
  • Back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan.
  • Click "Next" to start the scan. Please be patient while it scans your computer.
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes".
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.
If you have a problem downloading, installing or getting SAS to run, try downloading and using the SUPERAntiSpyware Portable Scanner instead. Save the randomly named file (i.e. SAS_1710895.COM) to a usb drive or CD and transfer to the infected computer. Then double-click on it to launch and scan. The file is randomly named to help keep malware from blocking the scanner.

Now reboot to Normal and run MBAM (MalwareBytes):

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
Download Link 1
Download Link 2MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
    For instructions with screenshots, please refer to the How to use Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Guide.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
  • Exit MBAM when done.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

[b]Troubleshoot Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware [/b
Please ask any needed questions,post logs and Let us know how the PC is running now.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 youngmomma

youngmomma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:51 PM

ok this is what happens
1 i turn the computer on
2 the dell screen pops up
3 a lil - flashes in top left corner for a couple seconds
4 for a split second i see it say recovery counsel or windows xp
5 then takes me to 'we apologize for the inconvenience but windows did not start succesfuly a recent hardware or software change might have caused this if your computer stopped responding ,restarted unexpectedly or was automaticaly shut down to protect your files and folders choose last known good configuration to revert to the most recent setigns that worked if a previous startup attemp was interupted due to a power failure or because the power or rewset button was pressed or if you arent sure what caused the problem choose start windows normally

then gives these options
1safe mode
safe mode with networking
safe mode with comand prompt
last known good configure
start normally with a countdown(00seconds)

NO matter which of these i choose the result is the same restart restart restart to go back to the above! the only way i get a different result is to when it is loading hit f8 and goes to bunch of diff options
1 safe mode
2safe w net
3 safe w comand
4 enable boot logging
5 enable vga mode
6 last known good config
7 directory services restore mode(windows domain controllers only)
8 debugging mode
9 disable automatic restart on system failure
10 start normally
11 reboot
12 return to os choices menu

i am scared to pick any of the choices and when io hit safe mode or normal or reboot still same result

then if i try to go to recovery counsel i get the above message about the configuration of the hardware blah blah blah

or if i go into setup by pushing f2 at the start then i can go to the utility thing with the blue background that has all the diferent settings in it.... so that is the options i have other than that i can do nothing and if i let it it will just keep restartign and restarting over and over again. infinity... please help..is there something i can do without being able to get on the desktop or some setting i can change to get on the desktop

i read somewhere about disabling the automatic restart so i can see what the error code is but i am scared if i do that that i will be unable to get back to anything if i cant fix it ugh i am sooo frustrated thank you so much for your reply.

#6 youngmomma

youngmomma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2011 - 04:52 AM

please help.... im going to lose my mind i have hit a dead end and run out of ideas... thanks again

#7 pane-free

pane-free

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 16 February 2011 - 05:59 AM

Should you have data on the hard drive it is preferable to save, a LiveCD or (better yet) a LiveUSB is needed to retrieve the files and save them.
I prefer Puppy Linux 5.2. How2 do it is explained here, at this site. Of course, itwill have to be downloaded from another computer that is online, with a good connection.

While on the connected PC and downloading Puppy, I would recommend doing the following (which I wrote up earlier for a person using a netbook without a cdrom drive --

Begin by downloading an early version (1.3.5) of SystemRescueCD at sourceforge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/systemrescuecd/files/sysresccd-x86/1.3.5/)

Next, get UNetbootin from the same source (http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/). Then make a bootable small USB Flash Drive using UNetbootin and the sysresccd-x86-1.3.5 ISO file, both just downloaded.

Set your system BIOS to boot to USB first, then boot to your new System Rescue CD USB stick.

After it boots, SysRescCD wants you to hit defaults (hit Enter) a couple times. When you end up at the multi-colored prompt on the page asking user to enter either "startx" or "wizard," type in the following command

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=4096 conv=notrunc,sync

This will destroy all trace of any Windows File System, wiping your entire hard drive with zeros. It will take a while, depending on the size of your hard drive, so go make a sandwich or something. When it's done, you'll see some statistics after a statement that there is no "more space on drive" and the size of your hard drive.

Don't bail out yet!

At the same prompt, type in the desired "startx" and Enter
This brings up the XFCE mouse then a yellow-colored terminal.
In the yellow-colored terminal, type the command "gparted".

Partition your hard drive. If you don't know how, use the Slackware basic strategy of
one partition for root ( / ) -- 10GB (or to copy DVDs use 15GB), use ext4 file system;
one partition for swap -- one gig should do; and
one partition for /home -- most or all of the remainder
(keep some unallocated should you desire to expand one or add a partition later).

NOTES: 1) in the OS install, when partition dialog pops up, choose Manual and then either Edit or Modify for each partition created previously with gparted, telling it to yes, use the partition, format it using ext4 file system for / and /home; swap should be okay. [So, write down how you partition, noting /dev/sda1 or sda2 or sda3, size, label (if any), and file system (ext4)]; 2) a person could also download the ISO file and burn it to a CD, but if no CD burner, do as above.

It's easy. When done partitioning, simply enter the command "init 6" in the yellow terminal window and reboot follows.

Your choice to either continue going with Windows (in which case it will cost you, for your hard drive is corrupted and in need of either wiping with zeros or tossing and getting another one) or going with GNU/Linux, which is free but which costs time to learn initially.

Your child could learn it, since he is starting from ground zero.

Something to consider.

Best wishes!
There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
W. C. Fields

#8 youngmomma

youngmomma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2011 - 07:46 AM

ok i guess i should have probably mentioned that i am kind of computer illiterate and need to be walked through step by step... but first i think i can get through the puppy thing or at least im gonna try. it is pretty much using that instead of windows correct?? so i am making the cd now and going to go to the store in a few when they open and buy a drive big enough to hold my files.. not really sure how big that needs to be but i guess ill have to wait and see... then if i am succesful in getting my files copied i will report back to you for specific detailed step by step instructions on how to do the reinstall. so please stand by because i am sure i will need your assistance along the way, maybe even for the linux. thank you so much for your help thus far. God bless.

#9 youngmomma

youngmomma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2011 - 07:50 AM

by the way did i read right?? if i wanted could i just stick with linux instead of going back to windows??? like altogether?? forever if i so chose to do so?? if i am incorrect please let me know.. plus if i choose to stick with windows couldnt i just get a newer version like 7 and just install that? or is it more complicated than that? thanks again :)

#10 pane-free

pane-free

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2011 - 12:43 PM

by the way did i read right?? if i wanted could i just stick with linux instead of going back to windows??? like altogether?? forever if i so chose to do so?? if i am incorrect please let me know.. plus if i choose to stick with windows couldn't i just get a newer version like 7 and just install that? or is it more complicated than that? thanks again :)

As to the first three questions re: linux -- yes, to all.
As to going with Win7 -- unlikely, unless your machine possesses enough RAM and CPU capability (you haven't stated its specs) for this OS.

Once Puppy is running and your video is functioning, you will see drives on the bottom left. Mount one at a time and examine for files you want.
(I think the program is called Pmount or something -- right-click on one of the drives and it should tell you). Get used to where Puppy stores files -- I believe it is somewhere in /home -- I will have to check, myself. This will be where to place the files if you should get lost and lose the drive to mount icon on bottom left. If you get totally lost, reboot first letting puppy save a configuration file "pupsave _XX.XX" unless the config you have is not what you want to save -- in which case choose "Do Not Save" and exit. The "pupsave" file makes the next boot much quicker and less interactive.

I'll be gone all day today until evening.

You're doing well.

Until then, there may be others willing to help, but remember the adage about "too many cooks . . ."

Edited by pane-free, 16 February 2011 - 04:27 PM.

There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
W. C. Fields

#11 youngmomma

youngmomma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2011 - 07:48 PM

ok i tried to post this once and didnt for some reason,,, just my day today,, '

so bad news wouldnt run puppy thing does exactly the same as before no difference at all....
there is 'warning system voltage low!' i have been told due to the cmos battery.// would this cause windows to not boot properly due to not enough power>

and if i replace it will it erase my personal files?
will i have to make changes to bios?
can you help me step by step with that?
if it might mess up my files i would rather stay away from this but if not i could go buy one now and see if fixes it if you think could be the issue please let me know thank you :)

#12 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:08 PM

there is 'warning system voltage low!'

Are you able to take a picture of this message with a digital camera and upload it to a picture hosting web site like photobucket ?

Otherwise can you provide anymore detail as to the origin of this message? What program is providing the message?

Edited by AustrAlien, 16 February 2011 - 08:10 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#13 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:23 PM

but if not i could go buy one now and see if fixes it

That is a good idea to try: I don't know whether it will fix the issue with the low voltage warning .... or anything else for that matter.

Turn OFF all power to the computer and remove the side from the box to access the motherboard.
On the motherboard you will find a coin-sized and coin-shaped shiny silver/chrome battery. It is simply clipped in place and can be removed by carefully easing open the clip a little and gently prying the battery out.

Take it with you to buy a new one the same. They are cheap .... around $7 here. A jeweler or watch-maker will have them.

To fit the new battery, simply ease it into place, until the clip snaps into place and holds it firmly. Put the side back on the box and start your computer. You may have to enter the BIOS Setup Menu to set the DATE & TIME correctly, before continuing with the startup attempt.

Edit: This is a normal routine job, and you will not lose any data .... or anything catastrophic like that!!!

Edited by AustrAlien, 16 February 2011 - 08:25 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#14 youngmomma

youngmomma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:26 PM

ok i wish i would have seen your reply before the store here closed but its no big deal. :) there is always tomorow. :) but i have been looking online and seen bunch of people with same problem. i have done a couple of things but made no changes to anything except set the time cause it was reset but other than that have done nothing as far as changes.
but i do have some more information for you.
i am runinng this
found this under f2 under system
dell 8400 bios A09 07/07/06
processor type intel pentium 4 cpu 3.40 ghz
processor clock speed 3.40 ghz
' ' bus speed 800 mhz
installed memory 1.0 gb
memory speed 400 mhz
L2 cache 1 MB
L3 cache 0
hyperthreading possible -yes
64 bit -NO

then under same f2 menu under maintanance i seen a log file which contained the following-

post error keyboard error (i tried unhooking keyboard restarting and nothing changed)

post error smart error sata-0

post error cmos battery failure

post error cmos checksum error

post error cmos time not set

(there were more of these errors, same kind just multiple times of the ones listed above)

then underneath the f 12 menu i went to boot menu and ran hard drive diagnostics and it ran perfectly and went all the way to the end and said

drive 0-hitachi-pass
test complete press enter to reboot

but then when i rebooted it had same result looped reboot....

so i read somewhere that if you are having the problem with the loop that if you try to go into safe mode the last command line that it hangs on could be an indicator of what is causing the problem??

so i clicked safe mode and the last command line said - ???????/???????/system32/drivers/mup.sys

online it said if it ended in this mup.sys probably a hardware issue.????

so i guess lastly i read about a program called Hiren's Boot CD,do you know anything about this? and then somewhere they said something about it might be helpful to reset the bios?? ok i think i am done typing for now please write back and thank you again :)

#15 pane-free

pane-free

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2011 - 01:11 AM

Sorry if I led you along the wrong path for awhile, but it is better that you get there on your own. (I have yet to run into an almost-dead CMOS battery that allowed any functionality at all.)

Good job!

As my name suggests, I am through with Windows, but do know some about tweaking the registry for performance!

Edited by pane-free, 17 February 2011 - 01:12 AM.

W. C. Fields

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users