Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista repair install

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Blufx

Blufx

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 15 February 2011 - 06:44 PM

I was brought an HP laptop with Vista Home Premium for repair. The problem with is when you log on, there is no background, desktop icons or taskbar. I hit control, alt, delete, started task manager/ file/ new task/ explorer.exe. The system can't find explorer. I checked, it's not there. I tried to restore trhe system to an earlier date but the only system checkpoint is today. I tried booting off the install DVD and performing a start up repair, but it doesn't find any problems. Is there any way to do a repair install on Vista like you could on XP, or am I looking at saving his stuff and reinstalling?

Looking back....I should have been a lot more specific when I said I wanted to be somebody.albertavatar.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,554 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2011 - 06:51 PM

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88236-repair-install-vista.html

But your system may be infected - a repair install won't fix that. I'd suggest you check that out first.

#3 Blufx

Blufx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2011 - 06:55 PM

Thanks for the reply.
I pulled the hard drive, installed it in my machine and ran Avast anti virus and Malwarebytes. Neither found any infected files.

Looking back....I should have been a lot more specific when I said I wanted to be somebody.albertavatar.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users