Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting info off 9 year old computer and putting it on new one

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 scoped

scoped

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 15 February 2011 - 02:58 PM

hey there

ok, my problem is i have an old pc, that i've never got round to copying its files to my current pc.

below is just some info and random stuff to do with it, below the --------- line is the main question and info

i dug the old one out the loft and started trying to mess around setting it up. that's where things went bad lol.
first of all, i'd forgotten my password, (clever me : D) but i managed to get that using ophtcrack, so i think - all good!
the computer logs in, then wham, cant use my mouse, try 2-3 different mice (all wireless) then buy a cheap wired usb optical one, and its just refusing to accept there's a mouse plugged in (i booted the computer up using ubuntu off the disc but the pcs specs arnt enough to run / install ubuntu, but i can use the mouse on there). so i figured i'll just plug my external hdd in and move software about for mice and stuff. ANOTHER problem.
i plug it in, and then a message comes up to do with trying to run a hi speed usb device (but i cant click on it to see what else it says) in the bottom right where "new hardware found" usually pops up.

so basically, im struggling to get a mouse working, it seems even if i did i wouldnt be able to back up to my external hdd anyway (and i dont think it even has a dvd writer)
so im at a loss as to how to back the files up, (i think i have about 5-10gb worth of stuff to get off it) . My thought is to take the hdd out of my old pc and put it in my new pc (i know id have to use a ribbon cable instead of the sata cables on my new pc) and do it that way. but i done this before on another pc and the hdd locked windows and said i had to ring up microsoft,
but this copy of windows is oem so i dont think i can just ring them to unlock it?

-----------

my question is: how do i move my old computers hdd to my new computer, so i can transfer documents and files from the old hdd to the new one?

Specs

old pc:
packard bell
1.5ghz
256mb ram
40gb hdd
windows xp

new pc:
self built
windows xp

i hope this is enough info, if it isnt i can give more details if you need them

thanks for your time

andy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 15 February 2011 - 04:22 PM

Just attach the drive from the old...directly to the new, as a secondary drive...and move the files.

Of course, you will only be able to move data files...no programs installed.

To move files from the Docs/Settings group, you will have to "takw ownership."

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

Louis

#3 scoped

scoped
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2011 - 04:50 PM

wow, thank you!!
will i be able to take ownership once its in my new pc?
or do i have to do it before i transfer the disc?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,275 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2011 - 05:26 PM

The process of taking ownership...is done from the system intended to be the final home of the files :).

Louis

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2011 - 06:22 PM

What Louis is suggesting is very easily done.
Assuming that your cdrom drive is IDE, simply disconnect the ribbon cable and power lead from the drive temporarily and attach them to your old drive. Red stripe (pin 1) always faces the power lead.
The system should detect the drive automatically. Make sure it is unplugged when you do this
Only copy your personal data, nothing else.

Im curious, is this system overseas?
Packard Bell hasnt existed in the US for a very long time.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 scoped

scoped
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2011 - 07:21 PM

ahh, ok, thats good - i was worried id have to do it on my old pc (i was thinking, this is going to involve a lot of right clicking for a computer with no mouse!)

annoyingly i dont have an internal cd drive on my new pc, i just use an external usb one.
but i have tons of ide cables hanging about that i can find

i'll hopefully be able to do this thursday (got a busy day tommorow)
so it seems, just plug old hdd in using ide, take ownership and transfer the files

and eyesee, i live in the uk and it's about 9 or 10 years old, and honestly, it feels like it was built in the stone age! lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users