Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice on reformat/clean install

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 oso101

oso101

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 15 February 2011 - 01:31 PM

In January, I had a rootkit infection that was cleaned to the best of the ability of BC staff (thank you!!!). For reference, that thread is here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic366605.html

All seemed fine until last week, when Windows Update began downloading and installing the same two updates every day, which continues today.

Microsoft tech support went through some troubleshooting with me, and ultimately said that this could be due to a virus, and recommended a complete reformat and clean OS install.

Hereís where it gets tricky Ė there are a few complicating factors:

My computer (Dell Inspiron 1720) came with Windows Vista. I bought Windows 7 later, to take advantage of their special student price. I installed on top of Vista by downloading the installation files, so I did not receive an installation DVD.

I assume this means that I need to reformat the computer, install Windows Vista from the installation DVD that came with the computer, and then use my Windows 7 product key to download the installation files again and install it on top of Vista.

However, I just spoke with Dell tech support, and apparently the fact that I bought and installed Windows 7 directly from Microsoft (rather than through Dell) has voided my software warranty, which otherwise would still be in effect (this seems absurd to me - a normal OS upgrade voids my warranty?). So now my Dell warranty is worthless, so I canít get their help with the reformat & OS reinstall.

So my first question is, can anyone on BC let me know how I can learn how to correctly do a clean install of my OS (I guess first Vista, then Windows 7)?

My second question is about saving my data. I last backed up my hard drive prior to the rootkit infection (several months ago). I have not backed up my data since then because Iíve been worried that, if I plug my external HD (a BlackArmor PS 110) into the computer, and there is still an infection present, it could infect the backup drive and reinfect my computer after the clean reinstall when I load my data back on.

So my second question: is this a valid concern? How would you recommend backing up the data Iíve accumulated in the past several months (a considerable number of photos and documents)?

Thank you!

oso101

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 15 February 2011 - 03:45 PM

Scroll down to 'Clean" here, and see which one suites your situation http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/257-windows-7-tutorial-index.html#post1066

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 oso101

oso101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 15 February 2011 - 04:31 PM

Thanks for the suggestion - that looks like a great resource. However, it seems that all options for doing a clean install require a Windows 7 installation DVD. I don't have this, as I did an online upgrade (I just downloaded the installation files). Is there any way to do this without the DVD? Could I burn a DVD with the installation files, or put them on a flash drive? Could this result in having the DVD or flash drive infected with whatever my computer has?

Thanks!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 16 February 2011 - 12:46 PM

Where are the install files you downloaded? They can be used again, I would assume.

Any program that I've ever downloaed...provides the capacity to reinstall same.

<<Could this result in having the DVD or flash drive infected with whatever my computer has?>>

Whatever infections you have...I would suspect that the chances of them damaging any installer files...is pretty small, since those files have no apparent malware value because they are not active on the system. That would be my guess and I am no expert of any sort.

Louis

#5 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 16 February 2011 - 12:55 PM

Download one of these bootable Anti-virus Rescue disks (it will be in the form of an .ISO file)
http://www.techmixer.com/free-bootable-antivirus-rescue-cds-download-list/
Burn it to a CD using ImgBurn. http://www.imgburn.com/ Also, burn at slow speed.

Edited by Jacee, 16 February 2011 - 12:55 PM.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users