Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE8 in XP - Debug and Runtime Error messages

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Lumpy73

Lumpy73

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 15 February 2011 - 12:12 PM

Greetings BC Users!

As the defacto IT guy at our workplace, I'm stuck with trying to sort out an issue we're having with IE8 in a Dell Pentium 4 2.8GHz desktop running XP Home with SP3. This is our primary office computer, used mostly for invoicing/accounting and internet/email access.

Presently, Internet Explorer opens fine, and has no problem with opening sites. The problem occurs when closing Explorer or (generally) any window within the IE8 environment. At that time, you get the Windows "thunk" sound effect and a "Microsoft Visual C++ Debug Library" window pops up with an Abnormal Termination error message - here's a link to a screenshot: http://i51.tinypic.com/kcy1ci.jpg

If you click on "Ignore", a second message pops up - screenshot linked here: http://i52.tinypic.com/esrdc3.jpg

Clicking "Abort" or "Retry" usually avoids that second message, and will sometimes allow you to use and close Explorer (after reopening it, of course) without the initial error recurring. Explorer will always reopen and work.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled IE8 and performed all updates to no avail. No toolbars are present, and it behaves the same when run without add-ons.

I'm ashamed to say that we're not currently running antivirus - our previous ISP had it included, but our new one does not. (This error problem is much more recent than the change in ISP). I'll be dealing with the antivirus thing shortly.

I've seen plenty of posts from people with IE script errors, but not this one exactly. Any ideas? We'd go strictly Firefox, but the software interface for our CCTV system's DVR only works with Explorer (and only in Compatibility View mode).

Thanks,

Lumpy73

Edited by Lumpy73, 15 February 2011 - 02:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 installer

installer

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:13 AM

Have you tried re-installing?

Also when is the CCTV getting upgraded to a 21 century system?  :bananas:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users