Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 KMF

KMF

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:35 PM

Hi...sorry to hijack.....I was reading this thread as I just purchased Acer netbook with Win7, 32 bit. It came with McAfee security trial. I want to update with Security Essentials but the download on Microsoft only offers XP or Vista? Now I'm thinking I should just go with AVAST......Yikes!!!! I'm also wondering if I should download Firefox......

Edited by KMF, 13 February 2011 - 09:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:41 PM

I want to update with Security Essentials but the download on Microsoft only offers XP or Vista?

Are you talking about Microsoft Security Essentials?

Just checked the MSE d\l page. There is a version for XP as well as a single vers for Vista\Win7 32 bit. Also a vers for Vista\Win7 64 bit.

#3 KMF

KMF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:25 PM

Yes, sorry. Microsoft Security Essentials. Do I use the Vista 32 bit or is there a different version for Windows 7? BTW...I have Windows 7 Starter edition; not the full Windows 7. :-(
Oh, and I promise no more hijacking.... really, really.... :-)

Edited by KMF, 15 February 2011 - 11:26 PM.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:30 PM

The Vista32 and Win7 are listed as the same if you use the link I provided.

I can not say with 100% certainty that MSE works with 7 Basic. I can say that it does not say it does`t. :lol:

#5 KMF

KMF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:25 PM

Well, then I'll give it a go and see what happens. Thank you!!!!

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:55 PM

When uninstalling McAfee, make sure to use this tool: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Uninstallers/McAfee-Consumer-Product-Removal-Tool.shtml in order to avoid leftovers.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users