Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 loosing internet connection

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jmtjet

jmtjet

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 15 February 2011 - 08:49 AM

My Windows 7 Home premium keeps loosing my internet connection. I'm on Time Warner roadrunner high speed cable internet. The other computers in the household do not loose their connections, just the Win 7 one. I can reestablish the connection by doing a reboot or working through the network connection wizard. But, it's a pain in the butt to stop and reboot or spend 15 minutes working through the wizard. My computer is home built(me)with an athlon CPU and 4 megs of RAM. I have 2 other hard drives in this computer with other operating systems on them, Windows XP and Linux(Ubuntu)they do not drop the connection, just the Win 7 drive. Any idea as to what is causing this problem?

Additional info: My browsers are Firefox, IE, Opera and Chrome. This happens about two or three times a week. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,611 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2011 - 08:52 AM

Ethernet cable or wireless? If wireless, is it an internal card or usb?

Edited by Allan, 15 February 2011 - 08:53 AM.

#3 jmtjet

jmtjet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:19 AM

Thanks for the reply. It's on an cat 5 cable directly to the cable router. I have an internal card, have to check for the make and model. The other OS's on the card do not drop their connection, so I didn't think it was a problem with the card.

#4 lovelylis

lovelylis

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:31 AM

happens to me all the time too with windows 7. my laptop is wireless but my router is about 3-4 ft from me at all times....

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,611 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:19 AM

Thanks for the reply. It's on an cat 5 cable directly to the cable router. I have an internal card, have to check for the make and model. The other OS's on the card do not drop their connection, so I didn't think it was a problem with the card.

Do you have Bonjour installed? If so, disable the Bonjour service (or uninstall Bonjour) and let's see if that helps.

Also, do you have the correct chipset / smbus driver(s) installed? Please check and make sure.

Edited by Allan, 15 February 2011 - 11:21 AM.

#6 jmtjet

jmtjet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:31 AM

Also, do you have the correct chipset / smbus driver(s) installed? Please check and make sure.

That's an idea, maybe an out dated driver for the card. I'll look into that and post back. Thanks.

#7 jmtjet

jmtjet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2011 - 02:30 PM

OK, I let Windows update the driver for the Ethernet card. So we'll see what happens. <_<

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,611 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2011 - 02:52 PM

No, don't do that. NEVER let Windows update the driver. Always obtain the driver from the website of the hardware manufacturer (in this case the Ethernet card mfg).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users