Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help With Video Card Choice

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Gregavi

Gregavi

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 15 February 2011 - 02:30 AM

I just bought a new computer for the first time in almost 10 years. I bought a ZT Affinity with the following:

Processor: AMD Phenom™ II X6 Six-Core Processor 1055T (2.80GHz, 9MB Total, 4.0GT/s I/O Bus Speed)
Chipset: AMD 780V / AMD SB700
Memory: 6GB DDR2 Memory, 8GB MAX
Hard Drive: 1TB SATA Hard Drive
Graphics & Video: Integrated ATI Radeon™ HD 3100 graphics
Network Interface: 10/100/1000 Mb/s LAN
Sound: 8-CH High-Definition Audio CODEC
Expansion Capabilities: (2) PCI, (1) PCI Express x1, (1) PCI Express x16
Expansion bays: (2) 5.25" Exposed, (1) 3.5" Exposed, (4) 3.5" Hidden

I installed my LG Blu-ray drive from my previous computer. My computer tech friend told me that with the integrated video card that this PC comes with, I would not be able to watch Blu-ray movies or play HD files because the card is not good enough. So I bought the RADEON HD5670 PCIE 1GB DDR5 card but have not installed it because it turns out that I can play Blu-ray discs and HD files with no problem on my 26" Samsung TV/Monitor. I may in the future use my front projector as a display onto a 106" screen. My question is: Will I see any difference with the upgraded card either with using my monitor or FP? I have the option of sending the card back, which I would do if there is no significant difference in them.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 15 February 2011 - 08:11 AM

You may see a difference as far as picture quality due to better/faster post processing on the 5670.

As far as stutter or dropped frames, that depends mainly on resolution. Is your current output to the monitor TV in 1080P? If it is,and it doesn't drop frames, that's all that matters as 1080P is max resolution for Blu-ray HD anyhow. Like I said above, you MIGHT notice better picture quality due to better deblocking/edge enhancement on the 5670 when the pic is blown up to 106".

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 Gregavi

Gregavi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2011 - 01:28 PM

The Samsung 26" TV/Monitor is 720p and the FP is Panasonic 1080p.

#4 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 15 February 2011 - 02:30 PM

What he was asking was, what is the resolution of the picture your sending to the monitor. What the monitor is capable of displaying isnt the matter here. Here is an easy way to resolve the confusion...right click on desktop and goto screen resolution. What is the max resolution you can choose?
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#5 Gregavi

Gregavi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2011 - 05:49 PM

1920 X 1080 is the highest available with 1280 X 720(Recommended) selected.

Edited by Gregavi, 15 February 2011 - 05:52 PM.

#6 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 16 February 2011 - 07:14 AM

Ok. Your monitor isnt capable of 1080p so hence the 1280 X 720(Recommended). The 1920 X 1080 is highest for the card, which is good, and you will have a better picture, how much that you are able to notice as far as difference goes wont be much on the small monitor, but like dpunisher said, it would be more evident in the larger display. You would notice a bigger difference in the large display if you connected the projected with a regular RGB instead of DVI or HDMI.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users