Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

duplicate entries in xp registry

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 esmo

esmo

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 15 February 2011 - 02:22 AM

xp pro sp3. I am missing some registry entries needed to run system restore. I downloaded a registry patch from Microsoft which has these missing entries as well as some of the needed entries which are already in my registry. Should I a; run the patch as is and thereby create some duplicates, and then delete the duplicates, or b; delete all the entries first and then run the patch,or c; edit the patch to remove what would become duplicates. Perhaps any of these would do the job, but when it comes to registry editing I like to be extra careful. Since my system restore isn't working, I can't make a backup of my registry unless I install some third party program which I don't want to do. esmo

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mrfingerz

mrfingerz

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 15 February 2011 - 02:27 AM

Erunt is an excellent program to have on your computer anyway.

http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

Very useful if you are going near the registry, a great backup tool.
It's nice to be important, it's much more important to be nice.

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 15 February 2011 - 02:40 AM

Without knowing which patch it is, it's hard to say. However, generic advice would be to go for the unlisted Option D: Run ERUNT (as mentioned above) to backup the registry, then run the unmodified patch from Microsoft. Delete nothing. The structure of the Registry prohibits "duplicate" entries, much like you cannot have two files in the same folder have the same name. So, applying the patch ought not be cause for Registry spelunking.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 15 February 2011 - 08:09 AM

xp pro sp3. I am missing some registry entries needed to run system restore.

How do you know that? What entries are you missing?

#5 esmo

esmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 15 February 2011 - 09:16 AM

Go to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313853

To resolve this behavior, verify that the following keys are in the registry. If one of the registry keys is not present, create the key, and then add the values that belong to the corresponding key:

In my case I am missing:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\text/x-component
Value name: CLSID
Value data: {3050f4f8-98b5-11cf-bb82-00aa00bdce0b}

Create a second entry with the following values:
Value name: Extension
Value data: .htc
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{3050f4f8-98b5-11cf-bb82-00aa00bdce0b}\InProcServer32
Value name: Default
Value data: "C:\Windows\System32\Mshtml.dll"

Create a second entry with the following values:
Value name: "ThreadingModel"
Value data: "Apartment"

At present when I try to run system restore I get the system restore window, but it is blank. No calendar, no options. The registry patch ms gives includes all the entries, hence my question. Hope you can help me.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 15 February 2011 - 09:24 AM

If you are not comfortable manually creating the values then modify the .reg file and delete the entries you don't need before running it. Not a big deal. But do back up the registry first.

Here are two methods of backing up the registry:

1) Click on START - RUN and type: Regedit (press ENTER). On the menu bar click on file, then export, choose where you want to save it, then enter a name for it in the box titled: File Name. At bottom put a tick in "All", then click on save. If you ever want to restore the saved version, just IMPORT it.

2) The best method, in my opinion, is the same as listed above (download and run ERUNT. It's the best registry backup utility available - and it's free!!! )

But even better than registry backup, in my opinion, is the use of Disk Imaging software.

Edited by Allan, 15 February 2011 - 09:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users