Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File sharing on a home network

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 McGyver_

McGyver_

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 15 February 2011 - 12:55 AM

When I signed up with Time Warner Cable for internet access, the Time Warner tech fixed up a network. Two desktops are connected to the modem with Ethernet cables and two laptops use a wireless connection to the network. That's all working great, including the sharing of two printers. I am trying to figure out how to use that network for file sharing. I know the name of the network and the password but I don't know how to find it or how to use it for file sharing. I tried to use the Windows Network wizard, but I stopped because I was concerned that I
might mess up the network that was set up by the Time Warner tech. The two desktop computers use Windows XP and one of them is the one the tech was using, so that's probably where the network files are. One of the laptops uses Windows Vista and the other laptop uses Windows 7.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 15 February 2011 - 03:05 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Im not well versed in Win 7 networking but there are three basic and simple steps:

1. The workgroup names must be the same
2. The computer names must be different
(If you are already sharing printers this is most likely already the case)
3. Share something
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users