Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dropped external drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:18 PM

I dropped my external hard drive a year ago. Since then, about three times, the partition table has been corrupted. I used a program called TestDisk in Kitchen Sink DOS and re wrote the partition and each time have been able to read and write again. And everything is still there and of the same quality.

To try and fix this from happening again I ran a chkdsk /r on the drive and it found nothing wrong.

Anyone know why this keeps happening?

The drive is a Western Digital 500gb with its own power cord. I don't unplug it when it is writing or if I am using it in any way.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 15 February 2011 - 02:15 AM

Download Data Lifeguard and run the diagnostic test.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 thrillhouse

thrillhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2011 - 05:01 AM

Thanks. That link is for the internal sata drive though, but I found my external drive's program and it passed the test. Seems to be working fine too. Hopefully it doesn't happen again were it randomly shows all unallocated.

#4 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 15 February 2011 - 09:44 AM

The drive is a Western Digital 500gb with its own power cord. I don't unplug it when it is writing or if I am using it in any way.

Maybe a silly question, but do you go through the 'Safely Remove hardware' routine every time?

#5 thrillhouse

thrillhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:59 AM

No, not even once I don't think. Maybe that's the trouble, I will from now on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users