Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sync folders in Linux/Windows on the Same Computer.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Insp. Bumstead

Insp. Bumstead

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:42 PM

I'm running Linux Mint on a laptop, dualbooted with Windows 7.

I'd like to be able to sync my documents, music, videos, and picture folders across partitions. In other words, I'd like to be able to save to one folder no matter which operating system I'm running, and be able to retrieve those files in either operating system. Is there an easy way to do this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 15 February 2011 - 02:51 AM

Windows can't read the Linux partition, but Linux can sure read Windows' partition. The easiest (I think) way would be to have the actual files and folders live on the Windows side and either access them directly from inside Linux or use Symbolic Links to make them look like they're located in your /home directory.

About Symbolic Links:

Say that you have all your music in C:\Users\BillyBob\Music and you want to be able to access it in Linux by just going to /home/BillyBob/Music. You would do this from the Linux command line:

ln -s /media/Windows/Users/BillyBob/Music /home/BillyBob/Music

This creates what is known as a Symbolic Link that points at the Music folder in the Windows partition (assuming that your Windows partition is mounted at /media/Windows of course.) When Linux sees a symbolic link, it just follows it and treats the destination like it was the original target. This is means that symbolic links are completely invisible to programs (that is, they don't realize that a directory they're reading data from is actually a symbolic link)

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,307 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2011 - 06:59 AM

I haven't tried this but it is close to what you want.
Accessing Linux Filesystems in Windows | Linux Journal

Note that their are 3 pages to read up on there.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2011 - 01:01 PM

I don't believe there is not a Windows driver for the EXT4 filesystem, which Linux Mint uses as its default.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 15 February 2011 - 04:55 PM

If you are using Windows 7 you can give thisa try: Read ext3/ext4 Partition from Windows 7.

#6 Insp. Bumstead

Insp. Bumstead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:23 PM

Windows can't read the Linux partition, but Linux can sure read Windows' partition. The easiest (I think) way would be to have the actual files and folders live on the Windows side and either access them directly from inside Linux or use Symbolic Links to make them look like they're located in your /home directory.

About Symbolic Links:

Say that you have all your music in C:\Users\BillyBob\Music and you want to be able to access it in Linux by just going to /home/BillyBob/Music. You would do this from the Linux command line:

ln -s /media/Windows/Users/BillyBob/Music /home/BillyBob/Music

A slightly silly question, but what if I have a space in my windows link? My Music folder for example is 'C:/Windows/Users/BillyBob/My Music'.

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:12 PM

A slightly silly question, but what if I have a space in my windows link? My Music folder for example is 'C:/Windows/Users/BillyBob/My Music'.

Not so silly. You'd need to escape the space using a backslash:

ln -s /media/Windows/Users/BillyBob/My\ Music /home/BillyBob/Music

Edited by Andrew, 16 February 2011 - 09:14 PM.

#8 Luser_

Luser_

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2011 - 01:58 PM

Honestly the best way of doing this is to set up a FAT partition and save your docs there. You can also setup apps like firefox so that you share 1 profile between both operating systems from that partition. This make is easy for windows and *nix to read/write without all the extra headache.

#9 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 19 February 2011 - 08:20 AM

I found this way of a shared data partition simple to set up & easy to use:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/35807/how-to-harmonize-your-dual-boot-setup-for-windows-and-ubuntu/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users