Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

''Quick Keys''....Dell Wireless Keyboard

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 daveusmc

daveusmc

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:17 PM

Hi,
After some time...like 3 years, my [Dell model RT7D40] Wireless keyboard ''quick keys/volume control'' became inoperative. Now this is on both of my drives and ''same pc'' that have Win XP Home SP3 on them AND same version numbers on the op. sytsems disks as well.

So I ruled out the software. I don't know if my issue has anything to do with any Windows Updates either. Other than this, my keyboard and mouse work fine. I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers from my Dell Resource CD and selected the [NMB Wireless Mozart Drivers] as I always did in the past [and was instructed to do so by Dell] when reinstalling Windows or just the keyboard itself. I found I really don't have to use the drivers off my resource cd. My kb should be fine with regular windows drivers. Furthermore, I called Dell and they have no clue as of how to fix the problem and I've searched a long time on the net and found nothing on how to fix this issue; just many people with the same problem, weather it was home users or the business end. Now,supposedly Logitech makes or made this kb for Dell. Can't find anything on Logitech's site on this kb model either. Dell claims my kb is 3rd party and won't support it-yeah, right! I'm running into a wall like many others and to go and purchase another kb will not solve this problem. Dell simply doe's not keep their library updated with kb drivers either. I also found nothing on Microsoft's site-Forums- either to fix this issue.

One more thing to add-my kb quick keys ''DO'' work on my other Dell with the same op.sys. on it and same updates to SP3.I looked at the drivers on both pc's and they are exactly the same and come from C:\\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\kbdclass.sys folder. They are, basic drivers for a kb aren't they? I can't see a conection here-just wanted to point this out.

What am I missing on my 2 drives that make my quick keys ''not'' funtion on one pc. Baffling here! It's not a kb hardware issue I'm dealing with here-ruled that out as well. Also, I've removed ''any'' Logitech software on my pc just in case there would be any conflicts. Rebooted and the same-quick keys inop! Hope I didn't leave anything out............

Regards,
DJ
Regards,
DJ

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 skoop

skoop

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 15 February 2011 - 12:09 PM

Had the same problem on XP with my Microsoft wireless keyboard. This may also work for you. Go to service. ( control panel, administrative tools, services) and make sure the HID Input Services is set to Automatic. Start the service. I notice that when I start my computer and press on the volume keys it takes about 15 or so seconds to load, but it will load.

#3 daveusmc

daveusmc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2011 - 01:17 PM

Thanks Scoop but it didn't work. I think maybe I have a corrupt [ C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs] file? This is the location of the exe file I copied/pasted to here.

Automatic mode ''Was'' set but the service showed ''Stopped''! I tried to start it by clicking ''Start'' of course and it gave me this error ;

[ Could not start HID Input Service on Local Computer, ERROR 126: Specific module could not be found].

What would couse this an could it be something ''Unchecked '' from my ''Start Up'' in MSCONFIG group? U just never know-I don't think so but just saying. I even rebooted my pc and nothing changed.
Regards,
DJ

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 16 February 2011 - 07:55 PM

Hi daveusmc -
All I can get from M/soft advice page - Re: ERROR 126: Specific module could not be found
When you receive this error a file related to the service is missing or cannot be found.
1. Check the registry key: HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%ServiceName%\Parameters

2. Check the associated DLL file name value for ServiceDLL.

3. Physically check the location mentioned in the key ServiceDLL and make sure that the file is there.

4. If you do not find the file at the location mentioned in the key HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%ServiceName%\Parameters\serviceDLL then copy the file from a working Server with the same OS and Service Pack Level.

5. Now try to start the service and the service should now start.

Thank You -

Edited by noknojon, 17 February 2011 - 01:17 AM.

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2011 - 04:59 PM

Hi daveusmc -
Any update from screen317 on this problem yet -
I noted you had 162 System restore points saved from later last year to current, and thought it may pay to remove these and restart System Restore again -
Unless there is a reason for these, you may reinstall earlier problems rather than solve restore items also it uses up about 1G of space -
My preference is to only keep the last week or 2 so that I know I had a clean system at the time -
Also (unless previously mentioned) IoBit 360 can clash with Malwarebytes as they are too similar -
Any questions or answers please do not hesitate to post back -

Thank You -

#6 daveusmc

daveusmc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2011 - 02:29 PM

@ noknojon; No word from screen317 yet.
I checked for the file in HKLM and the [%ServiceName%] and of course the ''Parameters'' as well were both missing!

As for the DLL file, if it's not in the above mentioned folder, I wouldn't know where to look for it. Same for the Servicw DLL.

How do I go about downloading it from a server? I'm sure it's not hard. Also, how do I delete my restore points beyond say 2 weeks? I do have another pc in the house-same op sys/ser pk/ and build #. Could I copy and save it to a disk then enter it into my registry on the pc w/ the problem? Just thinking here. Couldn't find it on MS website either.
I'll rid of the Io Bit Security.

Edited by daveusmc, 19 February 2011 - 02:41 PM.

Regards,
DJ

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2011 - 04:01 PM

Hi dave -
To remove and restart restore points (simplest description) go Programs > Accessories > Sysyem Tools > System Restore - On the left side of the page is a title System Restore Settings (in blue) - click on this item and under the System Restore Tab there is a box "Turn off System Restore" - Tick the box, click Apply > Click Yes to the next box that appears > Click OK - The panel should disappear, - This has fully cleaned your points, and I prefer to reboot then - You can repeat the process in reverse to restart your Restore points again, just untick the box > Apply > OK - Your next A/Virus update will create another Restore point, or you can do it manually at any time - I repeat this every 2 weeks, or so, just to keep points updated -
To Fully remove IoBit programs the best idea is to use their uninstaller then next, visit Uninstallers Blogspot and follow the directions designed by Fred deVries as the uninstaller will not fully remove it - (Personal experience) - Item 17 under Remove Antivirus programs -
Just look down the left side of the page (items are listed alphabetically) - Post back if there are any problems -
In the mean time I will see if there are replacements for the DLL file -

Thank You -
EDIT - Re : As for the DLL file -
- Copy the file from a working Server with the same OS and Service Pack Level, may be the quickest option, or a sfc /scannow if you have the CD

Edited by noknojon, 19 February 2011 - 04:36 PM.

#8 daveusmc

daveusmc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2011 - 05:08 PM

Ok, points were removed. I wasn't familiar w/ this feature all the way. I have all th Uninstallers already from the Malware Forum support and use them as they do justice at times. You still have to remove the empty folders-no big deal. I run SFC from my drive letter say [C; then Properties, tools, then Error-Checking] , then reboot. Is this what you're referring to? What disk would this be on?

I would like to clarify something here before we move on any further. Now, on this file.........[HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\%ServiceName%\Parameters] ..... how would the folder %ServiceName% appear, after opening the ''Services folder''? OR Do you mean I need to look for the service I'm wanting to run?

I think it would be [kbdclass] OR [kbdhid]. Is this correct? If so I have located it under Kbdclass\Parameters and show several files to the right of this string. ..... [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Kbdclass\Parameters]
I hope I'm correct. Not sure which to look for either...............

Edited by daveusmc, 19 February 2011 - 06:15 PM.

Regards,
DJ

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2011 - 02:10 AM

Hi again -

I think it would be [kbdclass] OR [kbdhid]. Is this correct?

[kbdclass] is what shows up in my panel under System, I do not have a kbdhid listed - That may belong to one of the programs you have installed -

> I have all th Uninstallers already from the Malware Forum support and use them as they do justice at times. <
This is where the uninstallersblog shortcut has been taken from (Top of Hon Members area) -

> (SFC) What disk would this be on? <
Your Windows XP CD - Run it like a check disk scan - Type sfc /scannow in the Run Box , insert your XP CD and click OK -
This is a System File Check scan - It is to reinstall or recheck that you have the Files that were first installed -
If it "stalls" just click Continue or Try again (I forget the wording)

Just keep updating your progress from here and MBAM for us -

Thank You -

#10 daveusmc

daveusmc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2011 - 02:30 PM

I ran it and kb quick keys still don't work. Tried running the service and the module still can't be found. Did a reboot after running sfc as well.

Edited by daveusmc, 21 February 2011 - 02:35 PM.

Regards,
DJ

#11 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2011 - 05:28 PM

Hi Dave -

After some time...like 3 years, my [Dell model RT7D40] Wireless keyboard ''quick keys/volume control'' became inoperative.

This is from the first post - Did you have quick keys etc. installed from day one on your system , or was this specific to this keyboard only ??
Have you ever attempted to use any other k/board with similar features ??
I use an early model wired Logitech k/board and noted that the Volume Up/Down keys were not always working fully, but now they are -
What , if any , results have been found out if you tested other k/boards (wired or wireless) of any makes - Even other Logitechs -
> It's not a kb hardware issue I'm dealing with here < > So I ruled out the software. <
If both the above statements can be true, then the k/board itself is about the only option left that I can see -
Even if it works on one system and not another , this usually means something is incompatible between the 2 systems -

Windows updates do get blamed for many problems with 3rd party devices, but this is usually only due to the fact that the items were not fully compatible in the first place -
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q301/5/83.asp This M/soft article may be of some help (Taken from Kelleys Korner XP help) -

Thank You -
Edited for spell check only -

Edited by noknojon, 21 February 2011 - 05:32 PM.

#12 daveusmc

daveusmc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:18 AM

This kb came with my Dell and the issue is specific to this kb only. Other kb's - Logitech Wireless- work on this pc-wired or wireless and ''all'' quick keys work too. Now both pc's are Dell's. At the same time I started having an issue w/ quick keys on this kb and this pc, I installed a fresh copy of ''the same op. sys. on another drive, same pc'' and with all the windows updates. This kb had the same issue-quick keys inop. Go figure! Now my Windows disks are Ver. 2002-I have 3 disks the same. Hope this answers your questions. I can't think of anything else to add.
Regards,
DJ

#13 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2011 - 05:47 PM

This kb came with my Dell and the issue is specific to this kb only. Other kb's - Logitech Wireless- work on this pc-wired or wireless and ''all'' quick keys work too.
- Go figure!

Sorry Dave but if that K/board is the only one with a problem - - - My only solution - - - - - - Toss it out ????? Just replace it with one that will work -
I hope that I have followed all of your statements fully - As below - Related to Quick Keys only -
1/ Only this K/board is not operating as it should (It is the original from Dell)
2/ Other k/boards work 100% OK (Wired or wireless , also same brand)
3/ This K/board will not operate on a second install on another drive
4/ I think this was the other drive you had issues with on MBAM (with AdvancedSetup, Ron, helping you)
> Now my Windows disks are Ver. 2002 < This also dates your system - Nothing lasts for ever -

#14 daveusmc

daveusmc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2011 - 06:33 PM

Ok-I'll hold onto it. If I decide to redo my op. sys. at a later date I'll see if kb will work just for the heck of it. What a pain in the ass! I'm not the only one with this issue at any rate. Ok well I do appreciate your help.
Thanks again!
Regards,
DJ

#15 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2011 - 06:38 PM

I have asked another person to review the full post , but if I have listed the items as I see them , New K/board -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users