Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Explorer User Prompt/script Prompt Ie6

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tessa

tessa

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 17 December 2005 - 08:19 AM

Hello Everyone,

I am new and have had the horrible experience of getting inundated with ad/Spyware. My pc was running poorly. I saw an article on optimization. I did the opt. and installed Spybot-SD, Spyware, and Microsoft Anti-spyware and followed directions as the article suggested. I also ran the utils in admin safe mode.

My system is now cleaned up (no ad, malware, dialers, viruses) but there are a handful of sites that I can no longer access. When I open IE6 a dialog box pops up called explorer user prompt with the message script prompt with a long black bar. When I click ok, cancel, x, or try to close the browser it just freezes. The cpu usage jumps to 100%. I have to ctrl alt del to back out from the browser or if I keep clicking at close the browser crashes.

I reinstalled IE6 with no luck, messed with the IE security options, deleted all restricted sites, added the sites to the trusted sites, disabled all the three above mentioned anti-spywares, but still no luck. I enabled cookies on the privacy tab, java script, etc. in tools | advanced. I followed each anti-spywares instructions to recover files and turned off agents, etc. but still no luck. I am still locked out and cannot download. All the other sites are fine, it's just the ones before I ran the Spyblaster, etc. utils.

I am so frustrated. How do I fix this? I would really appreciate any advice at all! I don't know what else to do. Anyway, hello and thanks very much in advance everyone!!! I sure hope someone can help me, please..

I'm so glad to have stumbled across this forum, I have not been able to dig up much research to help.
I'm thinking one or another of the utils modified the list in registry.

Thanks again everyone,
Tessa

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 17 December 2005 - 10:25 AM

Does this happen in Safe Mode with network support?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 tessa

tessa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 17 December 2005 - 05:20 PM

Hi Acklan,

There is no internet connection in safe mode so I can't check the browser. What do you mean by w/network support?

-Tessa

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 17 December 2005 - 05:27 PM

When you boot to the Boot Menu one of the options should be Safe Mode with network support. What are your choices in Safe Mode?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users