Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about eBay

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 PorscheFB61

PorscheFB61

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 14 February 2011 - 07:56 PM

So I was bored and was thinking about ways to make money so I can build a new desktop. I am a pre-professional student so I don't really have time for a job. So I figured if I could do something on the internet. That got me thinking. Let suppose I find an amazing deal on something on bestbuy.com. Can I post it on eBay for a more than it says on the website but less than retail and just ship it directly from the website to the buyer? And if that is legal/possible, is there a way to have the invoice shipped to me instead of with the item? It sounds bad but you know its a good idea. Let me know if you have done this and your opinion. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:04 PM

Under eBay's conditions of use you are not allowed to misrepresent the location from which the item will be shipped.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 PorscheFB61

PorscheFB61
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:09 PM

Under eBay's conditions of use you are not allowed to misrepresent the location from which the item will be shipped.

Well technically its not misrepresentation if you live near a best buy. Im not trying to argue just trying to see if its legal and possible.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:22 PM

Actually it seems that eBay does allow this. It is called a pre-sale listing.

Guarantee that the item will be available for shipping within 30 days from the purchase date. Be sure to clearly state this information in your listing.

Clearly indicate in the listing that the item is a presale item.

The handling time specified in your listing should reflect the time from the end of the listing until the item is shipped to the buyer—not the time the item is in your possession. Be sure to specify the correct handling time in your listing.

In the listing form, you need to use the default font size of 3 so people can easily see these sale terms.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/pre-sale.html
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:31 PM

How will you handle a product that is lost, stolen or damaged that you have sold and direct shipped? How will your customer get their product? They will be dealing with you not your supplier.

Just something to think about.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 PorscheFB61

PorscheFB61
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:33 PM

How will you handle a product that is lost, stolen or damaged that you have sold and direct shipped? How will your customer get their product? They will be dealing with you not your supplier.

Just something to think about.

Very true. Never thought of that.

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:43 PM

I agree with Animal. If you sell the item on eBay then you assume full responsibility for it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:12 PM

I had a friend, back when walmart still had layaway, would put a bunch of those little star wars figurines on layaway, and then post them for sale on ebay, when one sold he came to wal-mart, paid for it, and shipped it. He also worked there, and got the employee discount on them made a tiny fortune for his trouble. That is legal-he was buying them (granted on ebay) then reshipping them. If you can get a deal from your local bestbuy-and you bought the item, then turned around and resold the item on ebay, if you could find a buyer for it that would be the way to go, just make sure you got a market for whatever your trying to sell-a lot of stores dont do layaway anymore, and especially with electronics, you can get those anywhere from any bestbuy so unless you can find a way of making a deal on them chances are you wont make any money. Collectors items however, such as star wars figurines, hot wheels cars, and stuff like that might sell. . .old computer parts as well if you got old computers laying around, part them out and sell them. A lot of those old pentium IIIs will go for like 30 bucks, youll get more from a parted out old computer then a complete one.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#9 PorscheFB61

PorscheFB61
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:20 PM

I had a friend, back when walmart still had layaway, would put a bunch of those little star wars figurines on layaway, and then post them for sale on ebay, when one sold he came to wal-mart, paid for it, and shipped it. He also worked there, and got the employee discount on them made a tiny fortune for his trouble. That is legal-he was buying them (granted on ebay) then reshipping them. If you can get a deal from your local bestbuy-and you bought the item, then turned around and resold the item on ebay, if you could find a buyer for it that would be the way to go, just make sure you got a market for whatever your trying to sell-a lot of stores dont do layaway anymore, and especially with electronics, you can get those anywhere from any bestbuy so unless you can find a way of making a deal on them chances are you wont make any money. Collectors items however, such as star wars figurines, hot wheels cars, and stuff like that might sell. . .old computer parts as well if you got old computers laying around, part them out and sell them. A lot of those old pentium IIIs will go for like 30 bucks, youll get more from a parted out old computer then a complete one.

Thanks for your response. That makes sense. I was thinking of buying hard drives when they are on sale and then sell them a week or two later when they arent on sale. Maybe ill do something like that.

#10 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2011 - 04:21 PM

This isn't unusual when you're using a wholesaler -- I believe it's called "drop shipping."

It gets a lot more complicated when you're using a retailer, especially if it's an item that might be coming with a warranty. Will the retailer recognize your customer as their customer in a couple of months if service is required? Will you still have to act as a middleman? Will the end customer get a receipt from you or the retailer?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users