Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After 12 yrs, finally got hs, but ethernet card is fried

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ErikEverhard

ErikEverhard

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 14 February 2011 - 07:49 PM

After 12 yrs high speed finally is in my area. Called got it, but than i remembered that lighting hit my telephone line which was plugged into my ethernet port when I was using dial up. I bought a card and opened up my pc and than realized that the port is made on to the motherboard.

The only card that I can remove is the "line in" card. It is really small so I am guessing it is a PCI-E card. This is the "line in" card I removed. So do I need a PCI-E ethernet card, and can I replace the "line in" card with an ethernet card?

My pc is an Acer Aspire X3300. I enclosed the pic of the line in card.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 07:54 PM

If you were previously on dial-up then I do not believe you were using the ethernet port. You used the smaller port on the modem.

The two ports do look similar with the ethernet port being the larger of the two

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:15 PM

according to these specs: http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/desktop/2010/acer/aspire/AspireX3300/AspireX3300sp2.shtml

Networking: LAN: Gigabit Ethernet WLAN3: IEEE 802.11b/g Modem3: 56K

You have both an onboard modem and a lan port. As ThunderZ states the lan port is the 'oversized' port. See the attached imaged for comparison purposes.

Posted Image

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 ErikEverhard

ErikEverhard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:23 PM

Ok the right port above, the larger one is the one that is no longer working. What can I do? Thanks.

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:49 PM

Thanks for the specs and pics Animal.

@ ErikEverhard. The specs state as you suspected that all you have are 2 PCIe slots. Yes you will need a PCIe NIC to use one.

The bright side of this is PCIe NIC`s are rated at 1GB transfer rates. You may or may not notice a slight difference in your connection speed. If you are ever hooked up to a LAN = Local Area Network with other 1GB capable machines then you will notice a difference in things like file transfer speed.

Just curious as to what card you did remove? Line in? I can`t tell from the pic.

Edited by ThunderZ, 14 February 2011 - 08:51 PM.

#6 ErikEverhard

ErikEverhard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:29 PM

Yeah the card that you see is the "Line in". Can I just replace that card with a pci-e ethernet card? Here is the back of my pc. As you can see the telephone line did fit into the ethernet port. Up top, the green port is the "Line in". Thanks for any info. After 12 yrs of dial up I cannot take anymore.

Attached Files

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:40 PM

Yeah the card that you see is the "Line in". Can I just replace that card with a pci-e ethernet card?

Yes. Should work fine.

Here is the back of my pc. As you can see the telephone line did fit into the ethernet port. Up top, the green port is the "Line in". Thanks for any info. After 12 yrs of dial up I cannot take anymore.

The phone line my physically fit in the ethernet port. But I assure you it will not do anything\work. A smaller round peg will fit in a larger square hole. But it can`t do anything once in there and has no business being there. :lmao:

#8 ErikEverhard

ErikEverhard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:37 PM

Thanks everyone for all the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users