Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 virus crash

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jvmsl4

jvmsl4

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 14 February 2011 - 04:58 PM

I'm helping my 'point and click' brother-in-law out. He clicked on something(apparently a virus)which the end result was the laptop will only boot up to a blinking cursor. McAfee anti-virus came with the laptop and did not pick up the virus. 'F8' does not work. He did not make a boot disc when he bought the laptop and one did not come with the computer. Dell support charged him $45 (because only hardware was included in the warranty)and all they did was tell him how to run a diagnostic check on the lap (which showed nothing wrong) They then told him they could help him if he purchased $245.00 for tech software support to get the laptop running again. It is an Inspiron 1545. I told him to tell Dell to stick it rather than pay $245 for their help. Is there any other way to boot this laptop up or should I have him buy a copy of Windows 7 and do a clean install?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 14 February 2011 - 06:44 PM

borrow a win7 disk disk, same version .no need to buy

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 slare

slare

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:12 PM

Reinstall window 7

#4 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,204 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 15 February 2011 - 06:07 AM

Hi jvmsl4, with a bit of luck we should be able to fix this without a windows 7 Disk. :)

Try this please. You will need a USB drive.

Download GETxPUD.exe to the desktop of your clean computer
  • Run GETxPUD.exe
  • A new folder will appear on the desktop.
  • Open the GETxPUD folder and click on the get&burn.bat
  • The program will download xpud_0.9.2.iso, and upon finished will open BurnCDCC ready to burn the image.
  • Click on Start and follow the prompts to burn the image to a CD.
  • Remove the USB & CD and insert it in the sick computer
  • Boot the Sick computer with the CD you just burned
  • The computer must be set to boot from the CD
  • Gently tap F12 and choose to boot from the CD
  • Follow the prompts
  • A Welcome to xPUD screen will appear
  • Press File
  • Expand mnt
  • sda1,2...usually corresponds to your HDD
  • sdb1 is likely your USB
  • Click on the folder that represents your USB drive (sdb1 ?)
  • Press Tool at the top
  • Choose Open Terminal
  • Type the following and press enter:

dd if=/dev/sda of=mbr.bin bs=512 count=1

• Press Enter
  • After it has finished a file will be located on your USB drive named mbr.bin
  • Remove the USB drive and insert it back in your working computer and navigate to mbr.bin, zip it up and attach it to your next reply.

This will allow me to have a look at the MasterBootRecord of your drive and see if it is infected.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#5 jvmsl4

jvmsl4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:37 AM

I did as instructed. upon booting up the laptop from the cd and inserting the usb disc, the selection under mnt were sda1, sda2, sda3, sdc1. As sdc1 was blank when opened I assumet that was the usb drive. I typed the information into the window presed enter and received another window that showed

1+0 Records In
1+0 Records Out
SH-4.0#

Nothing was copied to the usb drive. There was no selection to close the XPUD window so I turned off the laptop. When I did I saw a large dos type window with a lot of information on but the laptop shut down. Nothing was accomplished.

#6 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,204 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:39 AM

Can you put a file on the USB (doesn't matter what, you can create a .txt file or so, just so you can recognize your USB drive).

If the USB doesn't show up on xPUD, plug it out and back in and see if it gets recognized then.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users