Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wuauclt has me backed into a corner

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 goldhero

goldhero

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 14 February 2011 - 04:24 PM

I did a primary search, but to be honest, I didn't scour the forums for a related problem; I actually made my account and came in just to post this. So sorry for possible duplications of topic, but searches online for solutions are thwarted (explained below) I've been fairly good at helping my mother out with her computer problems with internet resources, experience, but I'm no expert, and I never do anything with an effect I am less than perfectly certain.

my mother's computer uses windows 7, and said that suddenly, "internet stopped working". Upon seeing it myself, I see that starting any internet browsers or any effect that would bring up a webpage in any browser turns up a "warning" saying the computer is at risk of being infected or infected, and basically leads to a webpage for some antivirus program's purchase page, this is the only webpage that is capable of displaying. I did, manage, however to see among the many near-constant virus notifications from the right of the task bar, one particular error message mentioning "wuauclt.exe".

I searched for this and attempted to remove the file, located in C:windows, I get a dialog box telling me I have no permissions to do so despite the only user of the computer being the administrator. I attempted to go in and change permissions, but the boxes were all greyed out.

when I try to open the task manager with ctrl alt del, the task manager opens for a second and then goes away immediately as if closed.

clicking on the apparent offending icon in the taskbar results in the same "your computer might be infected..." box.

the computer did not come with a system restore disk, I cannot go online unless it's to buy their product, and all seeming ways to remove that particular file are greyed out. I feel as if I have my hand slapped to remove something from my own product (well, my mother's anyway).

I am at work now, I was only able to chip away at her computer for an hour, and nothing got done other than this information I am recalling from memory. Best I know of the iconology of the possible offending program is an "A" in a shield. I apologize if I am required to give specific verbatim error messages; I can do so later, but I thought I'd nail this down now in the case there is a perspective I am missing. I will check later.

thanks ahead of time for any help or consideration.

Edited by Budapest, 14 February 2011 - 04:46 PM.
Moved from Win7 ~BP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users