Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Back up computer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 leeflea

leeflea

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 14 February 2011 - 03:14 PM

I have an external hard drive to which I back up my computer weekly. Is it necessary for me to back up my computer using Vista Complete PC Backup and Restore Utility?
Thank you,
Leeflea

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 14 February 2011 - 03:19 PM

No, you can use whatever backup program gets the job done for you. You'll probably want to do a combination of full image backups as well as incremental backups. How often you do an incremental backup depends on how fast you create new data or edit your existing data and how much you're willing to risk losing.

Edited by strolln, 14 February 2011 - 03:21 PM.

To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#3 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 14 February 2011 - 03:22 PM

This will work. In addition, there are many backup softwares you can use. If you want to use ghost to copy your computer's hard drive to the external that works, if you want to use acronis and do incremental backups it will work, if you want to use the windows program I am not familiar with it but am sure it will work.

#4 jumpyjester

jumpyjester

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 14 February 2011 - 03:27 PM

the windows back up and restore program is ok to be honest, I use it for simple file recovery but for total system f**k ups I use Clonezilla which i would now swear by and its free.
Regards,

John

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 14 February 2011 - 03:30 PM

I'm a big advocate of disk imaging software - you should look into it. Creating disk images on an external drive on a regular basis, keeping the two or three most current, is the best possible protection for your system(s). Acronis True Image is the best of breed, but it's not free. Marcium Reflect is the best free Alternative.

#6 jumpyjester

jumpyjester

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 14 February 2011 - 03:33 PM

BTW one other point you can boot in to clonezilla using a 512mb USB key and restore images without booting in to windows, just a point.
Regards,

John

#7 leeflea

leeflea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 03:39 PM

Thanks Strollin. I'm a novice, still, I'm afraid. But your saying it's ok to back up to external hard drive is ok, relieves me. Leeflea

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 03:42 PM

While not free. I have used and grown to love Terabyte Products.

Of course they may not be just what you are looking for depending on whether you want whole OS image back-up. Data back-ups, incremental back-ups :blink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users