Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Front Page-Can't Log In

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 centerforcc

centerforcc

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 14 February 2011 - 02:50 PM

When I try to update my website using Front Page, a box appears saying "This operation requires end-user permission for centerforcc.com:80" (centerforcc.com is my website)and asking for a user name and password. This is normal.

But when I type in the user name and password, the same box just reappears, with the password box empty again. This will repeat endlessly. I spoke with my web host provider, and the user name and password I am using are definitely correct. I have tried it using Chrome and Explorer, with the same outcome. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Front Page extensions. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 14 February 2011 - 05:19 PM

Really only two possibilities. One, you are not typing in the correct password. Two, the password was changed in the database. That's it. If you are sure you are using the correct username and password, then something is wrong in the database and that is your host provider's issue. I guess there is always the possibility that some script isn't working on their end which is again their problem, or the form requires javascript to be enabled on your side.

Maybe you should just reset it?

Edited by groovicus, 17 February 2011 - 05:27 PM.

#3 centerforcc

centerforcc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2011 - 04:57 PM

Thank you. If you mean reset the password, actually I did that. Could you please explain further your suggestion about javascript?

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2011 - 05:27 PM

Sometimes instead of using an HTML-style form to submit data, a page can use javascript to submit the data. When javascript is used, then the form can handle some simple validation, like making sure that the user name and password are filled in, etc. If you have javascript disabled for some reason on your system, the log in will not work.

#5 centerforcc

centerforcc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 04:31 PM

I checked my settings on both google chrome and explorer, and javascript is enabled on both. Any other suggestions?

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 05:15 PM

So you mean that once you reset the password, it still won't work?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users