Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Free AV Software All Download from Cnet?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots

• Members
  • 449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 14 February 2011 - 02:42 PM

I just got a new computer and want to install free AV software. I already use Avast on my desktop but want to try AVIRA. The only problem is when I try to down it, I am taken to a Cnet sit that wants to install a Cnet Tech Tracker on my computer. I don't think I want that addition.

Actually, I tried to download AVG, AVAST, and AVIRA and all three took me to the same location, same conditions. Is it mandatory for these free programs to have Cnet sitting on my hard drive watching my software?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 14 February 2011 - 03:02 PM

Did you try this Avira link?

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 14 February 2011 - 03:03 PM

You can't download from? http://www.avira.com/en/support-download-free-antivirus

EDIT: to add the zip package from AVIRA:

http://dlce.antivir.com/package/wks_avira/win32/en/pecl/avira_antivir_personal_en.zip

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 03:49 PM

I got to the AVIRA start screen but when I clicked on the download link, I was redirected to a cNet download page. This is a brand new computer and I see that even without my consent, I now have a BING search box on the browser! I recall some years ago having similar problems when I fired up a brand new computer, getting redirected to some BING websites.

This link looks good (from my desktop, at least.) I'll try it from the new laptop and if it messes up...I'll post back.

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 14 February 2011 - 04:30 PM

BING is now the default search engine for IE.

MS sponsors\crated it so only natural to push it out to the consumer in that manner.

Many\most AV`s are now pushing their d\l`s via Cnet. It takes a bit of caution once on Cnet to make sure you do not click the wrong button and d\l something other then your originally intended program.

#6 slare

slare

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:58 PM

Bing is from my experience a good search engine.

#7 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:13 PM

You can download most of the Anti-malware programs from here : http://www.filehippo.com/software/antimalware/

#8 mute20

mute20

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:44 PM

Not to go off topic ,but bing has been proven to use google search results to bolster there results http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2011/02/microsofts-bing-uses-google-search.html .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users