Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Been advised to run ComboFix ? Advice needed.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rustybaw

Rustybaw

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 14 February 2011 - 02:35 PM

Hello all. I was having some problems with my laptop, only 3months old. No crashes or computer freezing more annoyances like no cursor clicking sound anymore except very occasional random clicking sound. Mcafee has picked up around 7 trojans. I posted on the Malwarebytes forum as Malwarebytes scan was skipping from 190 objects scanned to 30,000 odd objects. Found this a bit strange seeing as it was missing out the first 30,000 odd files during scan. My guess was that I have an infected computer.

I have run, as advised on Malwarebytes forum, Malwarebytes, TDSSkiller and Mcafee. I have posted the logs/reports on the malwarebytes forum. The next step I was advised was to run ComboFix. As I have read a bit about this I am worried considering how powerful a tool this is as to whether or not you think this necessary. Some people say its a wonder tool while other reports warn about just how powerful this software is, especially when you're as computer iliterate as myself. Not sure what best to do.

Look forward to hearing of any advice you guys have.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Budapest, 14 February 2011 - 04:38 PM.
Moved from Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs ~BP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 14 February 2011 - 07:19 PM

Hello rustybaw. ComboFix is intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert", NOT for general public or personal use. That's why we have the blue text above this forum thar says "ComboFix is a tool that should only be run under the supervision of someone who has been trained in its use. Using it on your own can cause problems with your computer."

So you ARE being asked to run it by someone who is trained in it's use,as in Maniac at MBAM. Their Experts group is as our Malware Response Team. These people are trained in it's use and how to deal with any possible side issue that may arise. It's these issues that concern us and is why we restrict it's use.

So you should run it and post it there (with Maniac) as they have you issue under control and should have you fixed shortly.
Thanks for asking as it was a wise choice.

I hope I've made this clear for you.
Moderator boopme.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Rustybaw

Rustybaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 15 February 2011 - 08:29 AM

Cheers for the quick reply mate.

Just a quick question before I go ahead and run this.

Do I need to worry about ComboFix possibly removing any programs or changing any settings on my computer. Its just that I'm not brilliant with computers, to be honest I suck!!!

Where best to download the latest version of ComboFix and should I run it in safe mode ?

Sorry for the basic questions but thought it better to be safe than, well, bleeped!!!

Thanks again.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 15 February 2011 - 09:03 AM

As a general policy, Bleeping Computer does not offer advice on how to run ComboFix unless we asked someone to run it.

If you were advised to run ComboFix by a trained expert at another security forum then you need to contact that person for assistance. That Helper should be able to address any issues you encountered when running the tool as they should have the knowledge and resources to do so.

Whatever questions you have, please ask them in this topic where you are already receiving assistance. You may want to reread the instructions in Post #7 as you were told where to download ComboFix and how to run the tool.

Since you have posted a DDS log at another site and are receiving assistance, you should not ask for help elsewhere. Following advice outside of that topic may cause confusion for the Malware Response Team Helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process or make things worst which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer. If you had posted your log(s) here, similar rules would apply...we would ask that you refrain from asking for help elsewhere.

If you followed any other advice already, please ensure you inform the Helper who is assisting you so they are aware what steps have been taken.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. If you have any questions, please PM me or another moderator.

Thanks for your cooperation.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users