Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replacing Mcafee with Norton. Advice needed!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Rustybaw

Rustybaw

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 14 February 2011 - 02:13 PM

Hi there. Sorry if this question is a bit daft but I'm not the best with computer software etc.

I'm into the last 4days of the free 3months trial of Mcafee that came with my Sony Vaio. I bought Norton when I bought my girlfriends laptop at Christmas that has 3installations with it. My question is whats the best way and time to put Norton on to my laptop. Should I wait for Mcafee to run out or install Norton beforehand. Either way would I need to download specific software to remove Mcafee ? Would I even need to remove Mcafee or would this automatically happen when the trial runs out ? I know you're not meant to have more than 1real time anti-virus running but at the same time I'm not sure if it's safe to install Norton afer Mcafee has expired/been removed.

Do any of you rate Mcafee or Norton ?

Thanks in advance all.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sightless

Sightless

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 15 February 2011 - 09:23 PM

Hi, try this.
  • Download the McAfee Removal Tool,
  • disconnect from the internet
  • uninstall Mcafee.
  • restart your computer
  • run the removal tool
  • Restart your computer once more.
  • install Norton using the disks you have and follow the instructions. You may have to connect back to the internet while Norton installs, if not, reconnect once its done installing.

Edited by Sightless, 15 February 2011 - 09:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users