Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

using a memory stick

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 geordief

geordief

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 14 February 2011 - 01:44 PM

Will this tactic work?
If I transfer all my harddrive to a memory stick (the size is 4 Gigabytes) can I then plug it into a PC with Norton installed and scan it that way?
I ask because I cannot scan my pc at the moment because a virus(or a trojan or I know not what) is effectively blocking my internet access .
Again would Norton Antivirus be up to the task as someone (my ISP) said they thought it might be a trojan to be redirecting my outgoing traffic in the way that it is.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jumpyjester

jumpyjester

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 14 February 2011 - 01:49 PM

hi geordief

it might take a while depending on the size of your hard drive but this should work also try spybot search and destroy in google that should also be able to help.
Regards,

John

#3 geordief

geordief
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 02:23 PM

thanks
could there be any chance at all of infecting the (brand new) computer with the stick ?- I am virtually certain it has something very bad in it.
The computer I am contemplating using is , as I say, new and has Norton 360 installed .That makes me feel reassured but could there be any chance at all of infecting the computer with the memory stick provided I don't actually open anything (on the stick) and all I do is to subject it (the memory stick) to a scan?

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 04:36 PM

Yes. There is a chance that the infected stick\flash drive could infect the new PC.

MS just recently released an update that disables auto-run on all devices except optical drives. If your new PC is fully updated\patched then it should minimize the cross infection risk.

Auto-run was\is a primary infection entry point when it comes to flash drives, media cards, external hard drives.

#5 Sightless

Sightless

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 15 February 2011 - 03:14 PM

You could just download an on demand virus scanner such as Dr Web CureIt onto the memory stick and transfer it over to the infected computer's desktop and run it from there

#6 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 15 February 2011 - 03:51 PM

Will this tactic work?
If I transfer all my harddrive to a memory stick (the size is 4 Gigabytes) can I then plug it into a PC with Norton installed and scan it that way?
I ask because I cannot scan my pc at the moment because a virus(or a trojan or I know not what) is effectively blocking my internet access .
Again would Norton Antivirus be up to the task as someone (my ISP) said they thought it might be a trojan to be redirecting my outgoing traffic in the way that it is.

It could work, but there are also risks associated, you could infect the other PC.

I recommend you use a Live CD to scan your computer. There are a couple of free Live CDs available, like F-Secure Rescue CD.
http://www.f-secure.com/en_EMEA-Labs/security-threats/tools/rescue-cd/
Download the rescue CD, burn the ISO image to a CD, boot from the CD on the infected computer, and follow the instructions.

If you want to see how it looks before you download & burn the CD, I've made a YouTube video:
http://blog.didierstevens.com/2008/08/21/removing-malware-with-a-live-cd/

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users