Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Driver Me Crazy!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 cway1

cway1

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:55 AM

Hello,
I have recently done a clean install of xp home sp3 on a sony vaio vgn-sz110. I went to sony vaio support web and downloaded chipset and all other drivers. In device manager I can't seem to figure out why the Video Controller and Video Controller(VGA Compatible) still have the question mark with exclamation. Also a usb driver is missing. I have a graphics by nvidia sticker on the laptop so I downloaded nividia driver but still didn't work. I searched all drivers under the service tag: J001BW2Z. Anyone have any suggestions? I also performed the clean install twice and have all updates. Thanks in advance for any help.

cway1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:45 AM

Did you download the drivers from this list?

Edited by dc3, 14 February 2011 - 10:46 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 cway1

cway1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:49 AM

yes, that is the list where i got the drivers

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,554 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:39 AM

Forgive a silly question, but you said you downloaded the drivers. You DID install them, correct?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:41 AM

What was the version of the nVIDIA driver?

Which USB driver is missing?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 cway1

cway1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:46 AM

@allen, yes i did install them and it completed, but question marks and exclamations were still there.
@arach, the usb was corrected when i updated the camera driver(only one i forgot to update), the nvidia driver version was the latest one provided. i also laid down the original driver for nvidia as well.

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,554 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 12:21 PM

Okay, let's do it one at a time. Install the chipset driver. Reboot. Then install the other drivers. I assume you are installing them by running the .exe installer files.

#8 cway1

cway1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 12:28 PM

correct. will keep you posted

#9 cway1

cway1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:06 AM

ok allen, i have done a fresh install xp home sp3, downloaded and installed drivers 1 by 1 and all question marks are gone except for video controller and video controller(vga compatible) device drivers. i installed and ran the nvidia gforce go7400 graphics controller driver 08/16/2008 and it did not clear the question mark. i then tried the original nvidia geforce go7400 graphics controller driver 2/09/2006 and it did nothing as well. anymore suggestions?

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,554 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:09 AM

You need to obtain all laptop drivers from the Sony support site for your system. Is this where you're getting all of the drivers from: http://esupport.sony.com/perl/swu-list.pl?mdl=VGNSZ110#div_pos_107 ?

#11 cway1

cway1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:28 PM

yes, input my model number and os. laptop has nividia sticker on it, so i assumed to install nividia drivers but even on the last install i even installed the intel original video driver but no luck.

#12 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,554 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 01:50 PM

No need to assume. Open device manager and double click on the video device - does it show you the make and model? If not, just download and run either Belarc Advisor or Everest and all of your hw info will be listed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users