Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VLC Getting Track Time Wrong


  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Euphemism

Euphemism

  • Members
  • 27 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 14 February 2011 - 07:27 AM

VLC has been my media player of choice for a long while now, mostly because it's versatile and nowhere near as moody as Windows Media Player (which has re-arranged, re-named, etc. my tracks many times without permission). It's been working just fine, with no issues that I've noticed aside from lagging with gigantic .avi files. (But that's mostly my system's fault, I'd imagine.)

Anyway, today I noticed that it's started behaving strangely. It wasn't doing this yesterday, and I know because I was playing one of the exact music files affected and it was not affected then. Now, it's adding random amounts of time to seemingly-random tracks, some as many as a year or two old and some much newer. Mostly, it adds 1 - 4 extra seconds. On some, however (mostly the newer ones), it's suddenly adding as much as ten extra minutes.

The ones with major additions are on my flash drive, but the rest are a combination and in different locations. Some were ripped directly from CDs while some were transferred from an older system and some were downloaded as individual tracks. All are .mp3 format. I've found no noticeable pattern, other than the ones with the most noticeable time addition being newer and on my flash drive. It seems that many aren't affected, regardless of location or age, while several are - again regardless of location and age. The additions of more than four seconds only seem to appear on my flash drive's files, though not all tracks on it are affected, either.

When it miscalculates the track length, VLC still plays the song normally, and seemingly counts the elapsed time properly. In fact, it progresses at the normal speed across the progress bar, reaching the end at the end of the affected track/s and moving on to the next item in the playlist or repeating the track if it's the only one (as per my settings). However, it claims in one case that a song of 5:57 length is 11:35 in length. If I click the middle of the progress bar, it goes to the proper middle of the song yet claims I'm at the 5:35 mark. If I click the end, the same sort of thing happens. If I let the song play through, the elapsed time counts properly and it does not have a long pause at the end as it would if it were really adding silence the length of the added time. It just seems to be registering the incorrect track length down at the bottom where it lists the elapsed and total times.

Windows Media Player seems to recognize the proper length of the affected tracks I've tested, but I don't want to use WMP. It eats up a lot of resources and drives my hard drive crazy. (And it has a strange audio stutter when I'm playing large playlists while VLC doesn't stutter unless my system hangs.) Some of the tracks are also on my phone, and it claims the right track length.

Does anyone know what could be causing the sudden misbehavior by VLC? I know that the last time I used it (before attempting to play music again), I used it to convert a file. I'm not sure how that could cause the problem I'm encountering now, but it seems worth mentioning.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


#2 RicardoVerdi

RicardoVerdi

  • Members
  • 20 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ireland
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:10 AM

I've recently realised that I have a few .avi files which are massive so I used WMM to reduce the file size. I had one .avi which was 2 gb. I added this and 2 other .avi files (about 500mb each) to WMM and "published" a movie that was only 124mb, with no noticeable reduction in quality. In the process I thought I'd lost lots of videdo, then I realised that the timing was all wrong. In windows explorer if I choose "Length" as one of the headings it displays an incorrect length for the .avi files, it seems to claim they are about twice as long as they actually are. It's the same if I right-click & choose Properties, details, video.

 

However I've just realised that this is ONLY for videos made with my Fuji FinePix JX530 camera. My family have some other digital cameras, but their videos all display the correct size. Perhaps I'll check the fuji website to see if they can explain...






0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users