Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Chrome does not respond - Rootkit assumed

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cthomsen

cthomsen

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 14 February 2011 - 05:45 AM

Hi there !

Since yesterday I had some problems with my GoogleChrome (Version 9.0.597.98). When I start the browser, it does not connect to the Internet. After a while, a small window with message "Die Seiten reagieren nicht" (German version, means "the pages did not respond".)
I can't even open the Bookmark Manager. It seems that Chrome is not able to start any other processes. Rebooting and even reinstalling did not help. I searched for help and found out that some people had the same problems which were related to Rootkit infection. They recommended to use ComboFix, but for that I need advice.

I am running Windows Vista with ServicePack 2. Access to the Internet via Firefox is still working. Skype and Outlook are connecting normally, too.
I am using AntiVir as protection software. Scans with SpyBotS&D and Malwarebytes did not detect any malware.

Thanks for any help,
Chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,759 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 14 February 2011 - 12:19 PM

Hello and welcome,see the blue text above this forum on CombFix.
That said we need a better look and if deemed neccessary the tech will run it WITH you.

Please go here....
Preparation Guide ,do steps 6 - 9.

Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9,which is here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in this topic,thanks.
If Gmer won't run,skip it and move on.
Let me know if that went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 cthomsen

cthomsen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 15 February 2011 - 05:20 AM

Hello and thank you very much for the reply !

> Hello and welcome,see the blue text above this forum on CombFix.

Yes, I was warned before, so I did not want to try CF for my own.

> Preparation Guide ,do steps 6 - 9.

In the meantime it has come out that there is definitely a nasty rootkit on my Laptop which is undetectable by AntiVir (licensed version), Malwarebytes and SpyBot. It has hooked on my Firefox for phishing purposes and intervenes with the firewall, so some processes are slowed down seriously. Therefore I had to remove the Laptop from the net permanently and put it under quarantine. I'am going to totally reset it incl. new OS and BIOS-flash. All data is recovered, though.

If you are interested in the results I can do a check following the PrepGuide instructions. But this is for "scientific reasons" only since my corporate rules are totally clear in never letting this Laptop be connected with the net before re-install.

With best regards,
Chris

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,759 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:13 AM

I understand... Not an unwise decision to make. In some instances an infection may have caused so much damage to your system that it cannot be completely cleaned or repaired. Wiping your drive, reformatting, and performing a clean install of the OS or doing a factory restore removes everything and is the safest action but I cannot make that decision for you.

Reformatting a hard disk deletes all data. If you decide to reformat, you can back up all your important documents, data files and photos. The safest practice is not to backup any autorun.ini or .exe files because they may be infected. Some types of malware may disguise itself by adding and hiding its extension to the existing extension of files so be sure you take a close look at the full name. After reformatting, as a precaution, make sure you scan these files with your anti-virus prior to copying them back to your hard drive.

2 guidelines/rules when backing up

1) Backup all your important data files, pictures, music, work etc... and save it onto an external hard-drive. These files usually include .doc, .txt, .mp3, .jpg etc...
2) Do not backup any executables files or any window files. These include .exe/.scr/.htm/.html/.xml/.zip/.rar files as they may contain traces of malware. Also, .html or .htm files that are webpages should also be avoided.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users