Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AntiVira AV cusomize notification icons

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Inked_Chick

Inked_Chick

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 14 February 2011 - 03:58 AM

First off, sorry if this in in the wrong section.
I had AntiVira Av screwing with my system yesterday and I got rid of it following the guide, found here (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-antivira-av). When I go into Taskbar and Start Menu Properties and then into Customize Notification Icons, there are the options to: hide when inactive/hide/show for AntiVira Av (the icon is the default folder pic). Does this mean that its still in my system? I've restarted and rerun the scans, everything appears to be fine but the icon wont budge and I dont know how to get rid of it. Help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PhilipARoss

PhilipARoss

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 20 February 2011 - 05:59 PM

I too removed the AntiVira Av using the same process. And I too still have the icon under the customize notification icons. Does this mean that it's still in my system?

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 20 February 2011 - 06:38 PM

No. In all likely hood the AntiVira AV has been removed successfully from your system. The fact that only a folder is now showing, not the actual icon points to that.

Windows remembers all icons that have ever appeared in the task bar. That is why you are still seeing the reference to it. It is harmless.

Depending on your operating system I am aware of a trick or two that can remove it. How ever it will remove all icons and any preferences, hide when inactive/hide/show, you had set for them.

The trick involves a registry modification. If you are uncomfortable with modifying the registry then I suggest you just set it to hide and no longer worry about it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users