Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird-looking layout in Windows' Services

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Dreamchaser_jc

Dreamchaser_jc

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 14 February 2011 - 02:29 AM

Dear all,

Have a look at the layout of the window when I open Services. The black box at the top left corner looks weird. Anyone know what's causing this? The computer's running Windows XP Pro SP3.

Help me out please? Thanks.

Posted Image

Edit: Upload bigger picture

Edited by Dreamchaser_jc, 14 February 2011 - 09:14 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:51 AM

That is quite illegible...what is the writing in the box...and under it?

Louis

#3 Dreamchaser_jc

Dreamchaser_jc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:10 AM

Thanks for the reply hamluis. The writing in the black area is "Services (Local)". Below the black area is the sentence "Select an item to view its description".

Tried to make sure the size is small. I'm sorry.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 12:14 PM

No problem...I understood your intent :).

OK, I see what's happened (I cannot tell you why) but what should be one screen...has split into the two items. That black box is nothing but a blue border (no properties) on my screen, so I would assume file corruption somewhere.

I'd try running chkdsk /r...and I would see if the same phenomenon occurs on any other system windows (e.g., event viewer, regedit).

Louis

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 14 February 2011 - 12:18 PM

Reboot the system and open services again. Probably just a glitch drawing the window. And it really isn't that much different from the way it's supposed to be anyway. I certainly wouldn't worry about it.

Edited by Allan, 14 February 2011 - 12:19 PM.

#6 Dreamchaser_jc

Dreamchaser_jc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 12:34 PM

Will do. Just worried cos one of my printing/scanning software has got a messed up interface and is not working. Thank you Allan.

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 12:43 PM

If you're saying that there are other problems on your system please tell us about them so we can be try to be certain the two situations aren't related.

#8 Dreamchaser_jc

Dreamchaser_jc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 01:32 PM

I'm in the process of downloading the installer from HP. So I'll post back after I reinstalled the software. :killcomp:

#9 cogs10

cogs10

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:50 PM

at the command prompt try:
regsvr32 %windir%\system32\webvw.dll

if you can stand it, you can just leave it, or switch to
standard view with the bottom tabs.

are you having any ie browser display problems?

Edited by cogs10, 14 February 2011 - 09:58 PM.

#10 Dreamchaser_jc

Dreamchaser_jc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2011 - 03:37 AM

if you can stand it, you can just leave it, or switch to
standard view with the bottom tabs.

are you having any ie browser display problems?

Typed the command and it succeeded. But the it's still the same. Yeah, I suppose I'll leave it at that. No problems with IE. I keep it updated but I use Firefox and Chrome.

For the record, the HP software installed just fine. I'll use the new software although the older (messed up) software has a simpler interface and uses less resources. I suppose we can end the discussion now.

A big thank you to those who replied and to BC! :clapping: I managed to solve a problem with boot up whilst looking around here!! :busy: I'll post again if I have any problems.

#11 iroc9555

iroc9555

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:01 AM

A big thank you to those who replied and to BC! :clapping: I managed to solve a problem with boot up whilst looking around here!! :busy: I'll post again if I have any problems.

Hi Dreamchaser.

Did you fix your weird looking services.msc window? I have exactly the same weird looking window in my system. I have ran chkdsk .exe /r, scannow sfc.exe. I have replaced C:\WINDOWS\system 32\services.msc with a copy from i386. I reinstalled MMC.exe and I recreated services.msc with mmc (Microsoft Management Console) and it is still the same. I also executed cog's command but no dice.

My system is running fine and nothing else seems out of place. I fixed services.mcs to open with standard view and not the extended view, but I am curious to know why it is doing this and how to fix it.

Any tips would be welcome.

Dimension 9200/XPS 410; Windows XP Pro. SP 3_86; IE 8. FF 3.14; C2D E6600. 2.40GHz. 2GB RAM
Avast 5.1, CIS 4.1(firewall), Spy Sweeper 6.1, Win Patrol Plus, WOT.

“We are all ignorant, but we don't all ignore the same things.....” Albert Einstein.

“When you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.....”Sherlock Holmes (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle).

#12 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:05 AM

It really isn't worth concerning yourself. If the only problem on your entire system is a black box at the top of the services window I'd absolutely forget about it. Aside from anything else, how often do you modify services? But more important, it's simply a screen drawing issue, not something that is effecting your system performance.

#13 iroc9555

iroc9555

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:29 AM

Hi Allan.

Thank you for your quick reply. I know it is nothing to be concerned about since as I said nothing else is wrong in my sys; However, Dreamshaser implied to have fixed it, and like I said, I am curious to know why this is happening; otherwise, how else do we learn about computers and softwares.

Thank you again.

Dimension 9200/XPS 410; Windows XP Pro. SP 3_86; IE 8. FF 3.14; C2D E6600. 2.40GHz. 2GB RAM

“We are all ignorant, but we don't all ignore the same things.....” Albert Einstein.

“When you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.....”Sherlock Holmes (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle).

#14 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:31 AM

Actually, if I understood that post correctly he was saying he fixed something else (the HP Software). But perhaps I'm mistaken.

#15 iroc9555

iroc9555

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:43 AM

You might be right. I also reread the post and the quotation I posted and he wrote about "a problem". Who knows I might get lucky.

Thank you again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users