Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restoring Win 7 HP Pavilion dv7 to factory state

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 scratcher

scratcher

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 14 February 2011 - 02:07 AM

My computer (details below) is new and after using it for two weeks a message appeared on the screen last night asking me if I would like to create a set of DVD discs that could be used to restore it to factory state if needed. It cautioned that this set could only be made once. Since I was busy at the time I closed the message. Does anyone know how I could get that message back or just do what it suggested? My thanks in advance for any suggestions.

* HP Pavilion dv7 *  2.20 gigahertz AMD Phenom II N850 Triple-Core *  4.0 GB RAM  *  Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) *   Firefox 3.6.17 * Thunderbird 3.1.11 *  Comodo Firewall  *  Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1 Pro *  avast! Free Anti-Virus 2014.9.0.2007  *  Erunt  *

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 odin88

odin88

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 14 February 2011 - 06:06 PM

Hi,
>start> all programs> maintenance> create system repair disc> follow prompts.

Be sure to have enough blank DVD's as it can take up to 4 discs.

Iain.

Edited by odin88, 14 February 2011 - 06:08 PM.

our attitude toward life determins lifes attitude towards us.

#3 scratcher

scratcher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 06:15 PM

Thanks, but I don't think this is the same thing. I've already made a system repair boot disc. The message had to do with creating 4 DVDs to hold 17.4 GB of data that would return the computer to its original state when it left the factory. Of course, I hope never to have to do this but you never know. The command you suggested results in the creation of only a single CD.

Edited by scratcher, 14 February 2011 - 06:20 PM.

* HP Pavilion dv7 *  2.20 gigahertz AMD Phenom II N850 Triple-Core *  4.0 GB RAM  *  Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) *   Firefox 3.6.17 * Thunderbird 3.1.11 *  Comodo Firewall  *  Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1 Pro *  avast! Free Anti-Virus 2014.9.0.2007  *  Erunt  *

#4 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 14 February 2011 - 06:39 PM

try ,start/allprogrmas, HP folder,[was on my laptop ] maybe or call hp and they will ship a set to you

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#5 Dmacf10

Dmacf10

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 14 February 2011 - 06:45 PM

Its easy on HP's; click the start button and begin to type the word "recovery" into the search box, you will be displayed a link that says "Create Recovery Media", click that link and you'll be on your way.

#6 scratcher

scratcher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 06:52 PM

try ,start/allprogrmas, HP folder,[was on my laptop ] ...

BINGO!

"HP Recovery Media Creation.

Create recovery media using blank DVD(s)... to restore your computer to its original factory state, NOT its current state."

Thanks a million!

:thumbsup:

#7 scratcher

scratcher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 06:55 PM

Its easy on HP's; click the start button and begin to type the word "recovery" into the search box, you will be displayed a link that says "Create Recovery Media", click that link and you'll be on your way.

Many thanks.

I guess this would work too.

#8 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:10 PM

try ,start/allprogrmas, HP folder,[was on my laptop ] ...

BINGO!

"HP Recovery Media Creation.

Create recovery media using blank DVD(s)... to restore your computer to its original factory state, NOT its current state."

Thanks a million!

:thumbsup:

your welcome

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#9 scratcher

scratcher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:46 PM

For anyone who may be interested, it took two and a half hours to create the five recovery discs.

The program also cautioned that only one such set of discs could be made for my system so I should look after them carefully.

Thanks again to everyone.

:busy:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users