Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spontaneous auto re-boot

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 GeoBzl

GeoBzl

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 14 February 2011 - 12:02 AM

I have encountered some form of virus or malware that has activated a re-boot cycle that is seemingly random.
I need help before I go completely Postal!

It started a few weeks ago with a normal boot-up. I clicked on the IE icon to go to the internet and OS auto re-booted. This was followed by CHKDisk and completion of opening XP. This repeated randomly afterwards. I shut off the internet connection and it would run OK to open a program or go to the START button to select a program and BAM! instant reboot. Then, it started random cycles of auto reboot, 2-3-4 cycles at various stages - after CHKDisk, or start of XP, or after Desktop appeared and I would click on an icon or button. Then Re-boot.

It repeated cycles when I was connected to the Internet so I shut off the modem. Then it would re-boot when I clicked on the Start button, so I couldn't pick scanner to check for walware or virus.
I didn't have a desktop full of icons so I had to hit the Start button to get the list of programs. I had a day when the computer behaved long enough to copy shortcuts to the Desktop for Malware Bytes, Spybot S&D and anything else I might need without hitting the Start button.

The re-boot has no patter that I could identify. It can re-boot right after CHKDisk, start of Windows, start after XP screen, after the Desktop loads or at any time I would click on some item or press a key. At the beginning of a program,or after I have been in a program for awhile. I cannot start in Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking. I was able to get to the Restore menu and shut of the auto restore.

Recently I was able to scan with AVG, AdAware, MalwareBytes and Spybot S&D each at a different time, between re-boots and came up with "Virtumonde.DLL, (Trojan-vundo)and deleted it but was unable to stay open long enough to search out other areas it might be, as the computer rebooted.

I hope I don't sound too HYPER! I really am at a loss to harness this bad guy and would appreciate any helpful ideas out there.

I was reading thru the Bleeping website and was wondering if "RKILL" or something like it would help slow this monster down so I could track it and get my system back. I really miss the "Good Old Days".

I do not want to wipe the HDD and re-install. That's not COOL! HELP!!!

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 14 February 2011 - 04:02 AM

Hello and :welcome: to the BC forums.

The problem is most likely not caused by a virus at all: It is probably caused by disk file system corruption. Please do the following if you can:

:step1: Disable "automatic restart on system failure".

"Automatic restart" can be disabled from within Windows:
  • Right-click on My Computer, and select Properties > Advanced tab.
  • Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings.
  • Disable (remove the check-mark from the box) Automatically restart.
  • Click OK, and if you get a System Control Panel Applet warning "If the pagefile on volume .... Continue anyway?", click Yes, and again OK to close the last window.
Disable the Automatic Restart on System Failure in Windows XP

When the system fails it will not re-start: Instead, you will see a BSOD (blue screen of death) with error message, such as the example shown below.

• Posted Image
  • Record the error message details, which will be contained in the areas indicated within the red lines in the above image.

Please post the error details in your next reply, when it happens.
You may need to press and hold for 5 seconds, the ON/OFF button, to switch off your computer.

:step2: Download BlueScreenView (in zip file)
Extract the contents of bluescreenview.zip and then double-click on the BlueScreenView.exe file, and click on Run, to run the program. (No installation is required.)
When scanning is done (please be patient), go ...
  • Edit > Select All
  • File > Save Selected Items, and save the report to your Desktop as BSOD.txt.
Close the BlueScreenView window.
Open BSOD.txt using Notepad and go ...
  • Edit > Select All
  • Edit > Copy, and then paste the entire contents of the text file into your next reply.

:step3: Use the Windows Error Checking utility (Check Disk), with the options to scan the disk surface for errors, and attempt recovery of data and repair the disk.
  • Open "My Computer"
  • Right-click on the drive that you wish to check > Properties > Tools > and in the "Error checking" section, click on "Check now".
  • Place a tick in both boxes > Start.
  • If the disk you have chosen is the system disk:
  • A message will notify you that a restart is necessary: Click OK, and close all windows.
  • Re-start the computer. The disk will be checked when the system boots.
    This test will take some time to run and at times may appear stalled but just let it run.
  • When the disk check is complete, the system will re-start automatically and load Windows.

A log of the disk check is recorded only if the scheduled re-start is used, and only for drives on the same HDD as the Operating System.
To open Event Viewer and view the log:
  • Go to Start > Run > and type eventvwr and press the <ENTER> key.
    The Event Viewer window will open.
  • In the left pane, click on Application.
  • In the right pane, at the top, click on the column heading Source to sort the list alphabetically.
  • Look in the Source column for "Winlogon", with an entry corresponding to the date and time of the disk check.
  • Double-click on that entry to view the log.
  • Click on the Posted Image button to copy the log text to the clipboard.
  • Paste the log text into your next reply.

Edited by AustrAlien, 14 February 2011 - 04:21 AM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 GeoBzl

GeoBzl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 12:53 PM

Thanks,
I'll try that later today and get back. I did try to disable the "Auto Restart" but in BIOS not within XP. The computer would not hold for a mouse click to MY Computer or the START button. The computer re-booted. I did receive a "BLUE SCREEN note on 2 occasions, but the note was broken up and not readable.
G

#4 GeoBzl

GeoBzl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2011 - 12:46 AM

I checked the "Automatic Restart" setting in XP, (after 6 auto reboots) and it is disabled. There was no check-mark in the box.
Went thru a few more auto reboots which occurred a different points of booting up and received a BS that was clear and readable, as follows:
------------------------------------------------------
Driver_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Tech Info:
***STOP: 0x000000D1(0x00000028, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xF75B2E3A)

** ACPI.sys-Address F75B2E3A base at F75A8000, Date Stamp 480252b1
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, downloaded the BluescreenView.exe file on my other computer that works and transferred it to a thumb drive so I could transfer it to the ailing computer to run. So far it will not stay running long enough to transfer to the desktop. It auto reboots at various mouse clicks during the plug into comp., highlight file, or try to move it over to desktop. After 8-10 restarts I shut it down and will try again tomorrow. Let me know what you see in the above BSOD information.
G

#5 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2011 - 06:31 AM

I cannot start in Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking.

Please describe what happens when you attempt to start in Safe Mode, or Safe Mode with networking, or Safe Mode with command prompt.

You really are having a lot of trouble there by the sound of it! Don't worry about Bluescreenview for now. Try to get a Check Disk to complete. If you can't get the computer to start and run chkdsk /r by starting in Safe Mode with command prompt, you will have to boot from a CD to do it.

Do you have an XP installation CD that you can boot from in order to use the Recovery Console to run chkdsk /r?

If you do not have access to a Windows XP installation disk (OR a Vista or Windows 7 installation disk, which can also be used to run chkdsk from the command prompt) ...
On a working computer, please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.
  • Double-click ARCDC.exe
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick the appropriate selection, for example: Windows Professional SP2 & SP3 ( Replace "Windows Professional SP2 & SP3" with the OS required. <<< IMPORTANT)
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
  • You will see a few dos screens flash by, this is normal.
  • Next you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Default Files.
  • The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC.
    Your ISO is located on your desktop.
    The CD that you burn will be bootable.

Boot the afflicted machine from the CD that you have just burned or a Windows XP installation CD.
  • Insert the CD in the computer's optical disk drive tray.
  • Start or re-start the computer so that it boots from the CD. You may be prompted to "Press any key". (If the system does not appear to be booting from the CD, you may need to enter the BIOS Setup Menu and change the boot order, so that the CD-ROM/optical disk drive is set to boot before the hard disk drive.)
  • When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press the R key on your keyboard to start the Recovery Console.
  • The Recovery Console will ask which Windows installation you would like to log on to.
    If you have multiple Windows installations, it will list each one, and you would type the number associated with the installation you would like to work on (usually C:\Windows) and press the <ENTER> key.
    Please advise if you are not seeing C:\Windows listed (and you think that you should).
    If you have just one Windows installation showing, type 1 and press <ENTER>.
  • You will be prompted for the Administrator's password. If there is no password, (and this is most likely), simply press <ENTER>.
  • You will be presented with a C:\Windows> prompt.
    Please advise if you are not seeing a C:\WINDOWS> prompt (and you think that you should).
At the C:\Windows> prompt, type chkdsk /r and press <ENTER> (Note: There is a space between "chkdsk" and "/r")
  • This will take some time to run and at times may appear stalled but just let it run.
  • If any errors are found/repairs made, run chkdsk /r again, and repeat if necessary.
Type "exit" at the prompt and press <ENTER> to close the Recovery Console and restart your system.

Does Windows start and run normally now?

Edited by AustrAlien, 15 February 2011 - 06:32 AM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#6 GeoBzl

GeoBzl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2011 - 02:03 PM

Almost every time the computer auto reboots it goes into "Checking Files System" and ends "Correcting Files" and completes with lines that read as though they are file fragments from the quick shut down that did not properly close and at the end a list - 6-7 lines of the file status. Then it continues to load XP and settle at the desktop.

If at the beginning of a start or restart I F8 for Safe Mode it will go into the menu screen and if I click Safe or Safe with Networking it takes me to the next screen for what OS to choose, (I only have XP Pro). The screen shows at the bottom the word(s) SAFE or SAFE MODE, I can't remember which. I click on the OS name and it goes into XP, full setup NOT SAFE MODE.

The only installation disk I have is XP Professional UpGrade Disk, ver 2002. I don't know if I can boot from it but I will try. If it doesn't work I will try your 2nd suggestion. I like that better because I can make a bootable CD for future use, (just in case)!

I really appreciate your help on this. This next step may take a day or two as my CD/DVD burner is on the ailing computer and my son has a burner I can use and he lives nearby.
G

#7 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:10 AM

The only installation disk I have is XP Professional UpGrade Disk, ver 2002.

You should be able to boot from that and run the Recovery Console.

You said: "If at the beginning of a start or restart I F8 for Safe Mode it will go into the menu screen and if I click Safe or Safe with Networking it takes me to the next screen for what OS to choose, (I only have XP Pro). The screen shows at the bottom the word(s) SAFE or SAFE MODE, I can't remember which. I click on the OS name and it goes into XP, full setup NOT SAFE MODE."
That is an interesting observation of behaviour that I have not seen before. I have to wonder whether it is entirely accurate. Are you sure that the computer does not re-start when attempting Safe Mode (after you click on the OS name), and end up loading Windows normally after the re-start? (Not that it matters right now, but we may have to look into this later.)

Edited by AustrAlien, 16 February 2011 - 01:11 AM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#8 GeoBzl

GeoBzl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2011 - 01:49 PM

Back again-
I was able to burn a bootable CD with ARCDC.exe. Ran chkdsk /r several times and was able to start XP and get to the desktop without error.
Opened and closed a few files - OK.
I was in the process of transferring BlueScreenView.exe to the desktop and then try to close down, in an attempt to get a clean close down when the system auto rebooted before I could transfer the file to the desktop.
It restarted with scandsk.
It followed with a series of shut down-reboot cycles followed by chkdsk and never completed loading XP to the desktop.
I tried to F8 into SAFE mode several times and it would get as far as saying it was loading XP and listing files being loaded, followed by a screen/keyboard & mouse freeze. The last line on the screen the last few times read:

C:\ Windows.000\System32\Drivers\hotcore3.sys

Finally a BSOD came up. I was able to try a few more attemps to start Normal, SAFE, SAFE wtih networking, and a few other options with no change. The same BSOD was repeated 2 more times. Each time I was unable to keystroke out and had to press the reboot or shut-off button.
The Tech Info read:
*** Stop: 0X0000008E (0XC000001D, 0XB7B90FBD, 0XF78A6C2C, 0X00000000)

***cmuda3.sys Address B7B90FBD base at B7AF3000, Date Stamp 436190d5
Is there any clue in the above info? Also, If I can ever get to the desktop long enough to get the BlueScreenView.exe to run would that be of value at this time?

#9 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2011 - 04:47 AM

It does seem as though you may have a problem with the file cmuda3.sys.

However, before rushing off in that direction, I think it may be a good idea to run a couple of other basic scans to check both the hard drive itself and the system memory. If they both check out OK, then we can proceed in a more specific direction with a little more confidence. Both these tests are done from bootable CDs, so you will need to download small .ISO image files, and then burn them to CDs with the appropriate software so they are bootable. I'll get you to do both at the same time, since you have to get it done at your son's home.

Firstly, I would like you to find out the manufacturer/brand name and the model of your hard drive. You may need to open the box and look at the label on the hard drive itself. That may mean that you have to remove it from the box to get a look at the label. I can then point out the specific download that you need to get for the diagnostic test.

Let me have the hard drive information, and I will give you specific directions to proceed from there.

Edit: You are having too much trouble getting the system to run ... leave any attempt to run Bluescreenview at this time.

Edited by AustrAlien, 23 February 2011 - 04:50 AM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#10 GeoBzl

GeoBzl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:41 AM

Here is my Hard drive information-

Western Digital 320 GB Caviar PATA/8 Mb Cache - WD3200AAJB
MDL - WD3200AAJB-00J3A0
Date-7 Nov, 2009
DCM-DHRNNTJCHN
LBA-625142448

Thanks again!
G

#11 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:18 AM

Please download the following 3 items:

Burn the 2 images to CDs:

:step1: If you don't have suitable software for burning an .ISO image to disk, then please install ImgBurn.
Instructions for using ImgBurn:
  • Extract the contents of the downloaded zip files, to reveal the .ISO image files.
  • To write one of these .ISO images correctly to CD, so that it will be bootable, start ImgBurn and select "Write image file to disc", and then navigate to the .ISO image file that you wish to burn to CD.

:step2: Western Digital's Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (CD)
  • If you choose to download the .zip file, then you will need to extract the contents when you have downloaded it, to reveal the .ISO image file.
  • Use ImgBurn to burn the .ISO image to a CD.

:step3: memtest86+
  • Extract the contents of the zip file when you have downloaded it, to reveal the .ISO image file.
  • Use ImgBurn to burn the .ISO image to a CD.

I will post instructions for using the CDs, and running the tests, shortly.

Edited by AustrAlien, 24 February 2011 - 03:33 AM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#12 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:38 AM

:step1: Test the hard drive:
  • Boot with Data Lifeguard Diagnostic CD and run the Quick Test and then the Extended Test.
  • For further instruction, read Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (CD)

Report the results of both tests.

:step2: Test the system memory:
  • Boot with the memtest86+ CD and allow it to run.

There MUST be NO errors what-so-ever.
    If you see an error, stop the test: Test each stick of RAM separately to sort the good from the bad.

A minimum test for some confidence in the result, should be 7 full passes (each "pass" is a series of different types of tests), with NO errors.
    Allow memtest86+ to run for 24 hours for maximum confidence in the test result.

Report the result of running memtest86+ for 24 hours.

Edited by AustrAlien, 24 February 2011 - 03:39 AM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#13 GeoBzl

GeoBzl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 01:23 PM

Well that's done!
Tested the HDD with WD Lifeguard Diag for DOS (CD)- ISO image file using ImgBurn.
Ran Quick Test - NO ERRORS - Error Status Code: 000
Ran Full Media Scan - NO ERRORS - scan time 1 Hr.
Tested Memory - MemTest86+
Completed 7+ passes - duration 24+ hours continuous - NO errors

Rebooted system, started normally. I was able to open and close files. System was on about about 15 min. Openned IE to go online and update AVG virus prog. and found the DSL connection was not operating. It had been fine and my other computer connected to the same modem was fine. I ran a check of the connection and the setup was changed from an Ethernet connection to the computer to a USB. I was able to return it to the Ethernet setting and all was fine. I the tried to return to the internet to update the AVG prog. and the comp. rebooted!

I went thru a few cycles of auto reboot-each time it went thru a checkdisk, XP partial boot auto reboot.
I tried F8 to Safe Mode and it would start up and XP would start to load - run thru a few quick screens of files and freeze at a screen of (C:Windows/System32/Driver ) files. The only step was to manually reboot.
After 2-3 of these cycles the BSOD would appear with the same message I seent to you on Feb 21, 2011.
If I can get the system to stay on long enough, I will try to search out where the file "cmuda3.sys is located.
The only info I found was in "SystemLookup" (www.SystemLookup.com) online - it wrote-"C-Media Audio WDM Driver"
I hope there is some clue in all this 'cause I am baffled. I haven't loaded anything new recently and all the hardware and cards have been operating quite awhile. I am guessing some download(s) over time have been introduced.

I await your words of wisdom!

Geo.

#14 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2011 - 06:17 PM

That's all good news so far, but I will admit to being a little baffled by what is going on at your end, with your problems.

With the repeated mention of cmuda3.sys in your BSOD error message, this driver does appear to be a problem, so let's try renaming that file to stop it from being loaded when the system starts.

Note: Be sure to enter the commands exactly as shown, and to observe the spaces.

Boot from the XP Recovery Console CD.
You should arrive at the prompt
C:\Windows\>

Type cd system32 and press the <ENTER> key.
and the prompt should now show as
C:\Windows\system32\>

Type cd drivers and press <ENTER>
and the prompt should now show as
C:\Windows\system32\drivers\>

Type ren cmuda3.sys cmuda3.old and press <ENTER>

Type exit and press <ENTER> to restart the computer (remove the CD) and allow it to start normally.

Does the system start and run normally without failing?
(There may be a problem with the sound, but we will deal with that when the system is able to run without failure.)
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#15 GeoBzl

GeoBzl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2011 - 12:58 AM

I will start with the good news!
I followed your instructions and renamed the cmuda3.sys to .old. I used the boot CD and all went well. I rebooted and the sound was gone but that was expected. The OS went well after it rebooted a couple of times and then stabilized for quite awhile as I went thru the Control Panel and Explore to see the association of various files. I did find the cmuda3.sys file was part of my sound card, "Xtreme Sound 5.1" (Diamond).
I added the card to work with converting VCR tapes to DVD. I am thru with that exercise, so I uninstalled the Xtreme Sound program, driver and removed the card. I added back (enabled) the onboard audio chip (VIA-3058AC97 audio). All went just fine and I rebooted each step to finalize the uninstall, install or change. I had returned the cmuda3.OLD to .SYS prior to the uninstalling. I rebooted XP and it seemed fine. I worked around the menu, program list etc. The sound was normal and all seemed good.
Now the bad news!
During my checking around to make sure all was uninstalled or removed, when I clicked Start-Programs-Control Panel the screen froze. No keyboard or mouse action. I button activated a reboot and ChkDsk came up and ran thru its check. It ended with a couple of screens of truncated files. It then continued to boot XP and auto-booted at the first blue Windows screen. It restarted and would not complete loading XP. I shut the computer off.
I rebooted with the Recovery CD and it stopped the bootup. It could not complete opening XP and stopped at-
Cannot load XP - C:\Windows.000\System32\Hal.dll is damaged and needs to be reloaded.
I went to my other computer and copied the Hal.dll from comp #2 and transferred it to comp #1 and replaced the damaged file. They both were the same size file (131840).
I rebooted XP on comp #1 and it came up with the same message - but this time did not recognize my root file - C:\Windows.000\ instead it read C:\Windows\ and would not recognize any drive, partition or file. So now anything I try to boot up with does not recognize Windows.000. I tried to reinstall or repair XP with negative results. The only thing that does recognize my root file is the Boot CD but I don't know how to execute XP to open with it. Could it be that this file Hal.dll is computer specific? My comp #2 boots from C:\Windows\ and that is where I copied the file from.
I am sorry for using a tremendous amount of your time. I hope I haven't complicated the problem with that Hal.dll recopy. The only good part so far is that I am learning a whole new set of updated diagnostic skills. I am closer to the idea of wiping the HDD and reloading. My main reservation, besides all the files I would have to reload, is that I upgraded from WIN 98 SE and I would have to wipe the HDD clean, no big deal, load 98 and then upgrade to XP. The only full XP install CD I have is for a Dell computer, (my comp #2). My comp #1 is a scratch built I made about 7 years ago, and any Dell CD's are specific to Dell computers and do not load.
I hope you have some idea what is happening, even if you feel it might be terminal. Whatever the next step might be I'm up to it.
Thanks, Geo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users