Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD-ROM drive error message?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 halfnerdhybrid

halfnerdhybrid

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 13 February 2011 - 11:03 PM

So, after all this hype over Crysis 2, I got to be jonesing for some Crysis. Because I like to torment my ancient computer I inserted the disc in, and instead of reading it, it went from reading as "DVD-RAM Drive (F:)" to "CD-ROM Drive (F:)" and shows that the disc is empty, but has no free space on it :blink:

So, I was thinking maybe I might need to update or reinstall the drivers for it. So, I ran a speccy to see what model and brand it was (Because I cannot find the disc that came with it, nor do I remember what make/model it is)

And well..... See for yourselves

So...I tried doing a bit of searching on the error it gave me, and I've been getting all kinds of things, ranging from Internet games to Blue Screen of Death's....

Any idea?

Oh, it's only Crysis that it has the problem reading. I installed Quake III Arena and drivers for a webcam not even 2 days before, tested after getting the error, and they run fine...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 14 February 2011 - 07:58 AM

Optical Drives do not need drivers. Try the disk in a different drive and see what happens.

#3 halfnerdhybrid

halfnerdhybrid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:13 PM

I only have the one DVD drive installed. There's 2 HDD's and a free space for another IDE device.

#4 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:40 PM

So Allan (or anyone else), why does his speccy profile say:

Optical Drives Unknown system error: 0x80041004

Inquiring minds want to know.... :wacko:

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 15 February 2011 - 07:59 AM

I only have the one DVD drive installed. There's 2 HDD's and a free space for another IDE device.

Well, if it only happens with that one disk I'd contact the Software author and see if they have any thoughts.

#6 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:32 AM

Good point Allan. I had lost track of the fact that it's only the one disk that's giving halfnerdhybrid the problem.

#7 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2011 - 02:53 PM

I know that you said you only have one cdrom drive installed.
Take the cd in question over to a friends and see if it does the same thing there.
If it does it would lead me to believe that there is a problem with the cd, especially if all others work fine.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#8 halfnerdhybrid

halfnerdhybrid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2011 - 12:35 PM

Well, if it only happens with that one disk I'd contact the Software author and see if they have any thoughts.

Thing is, it used to work fine, it was only right before I noticed this error message in speccy that I had this problem.

I know that you said you only have one cdrom drive installed.
Take the cd in question over to a friends and see if it does the same thing there.
If it does it would lead me to believe that there is a problem with the cd, especially if all others work fine.

Sure, except I need to get my hands on another computer with a DVD drive.

I'll reply back after I do

Edited by halfnerdhybrid, 16 February 2011 - 12:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users